Bière de Garde Biere De Garde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Imperial Dieter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 65 - 10 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 months at 34
Tasting Notes
Malty, Rustic, Grainy upfront. Peppery, Spicy on the back end
I am pretty excited about this beer. It came out a little bigger then most of the farmhouse beers I like to make. At 8% it is dangerously drinkable. It really came out the way I was hoping for. It has a rustic quality, and is a nice beer to be enjoyed with dinner.

For 6 gallons :

Mashed 148 for 90 min
Boiled for 90 min

10 lbs Bel. Pils
2.5 lbs Munich
1 lbs Vienna
8 oz Special B
3 oz Carafa II
8 oz Turbinado
5 oz Cane Sugar

.3 oz Magnum @90
2 oz Strisslespalt at 20
1 oz Saaz @ 20

30223339_10156525937766189_2001480902_o.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your use of special b, 8 oz is not foolin around! Do the raisins come through? The most I've ever used at once is maybe half that; subtle raisins, more like the flavor of toasted raisin bread. Crap, now I have another recipe to add to the must-brew list, that photo looks fantastic. I thought it look much longer to produce one of these.

I really like your use of special b, 8 oz is not foolin around! Do the raisins come through? The most I've ever used at once is maybe half that; subtle raisins, more like the flavor of toasted raisin bread. Crap, now I have another recipe to add to the must-brew list, that photo looks fantastic. I thought it look much longer to produce one of these.

Yeah, I get raisin in the flavor profile. It is more like raisin-bready as you experienced.
I'm usually not as "malt focused" in my brewing, but I wanted to try something different. I think using a heavier hand with the Special B contributed to making a solid beer.

I'm gonna brew this again pretty soon. The only change I am going to make is to make it a little lower OG.

As far as the time frame goes, you really just need to follow a normal primary schedule followed up by a 1-3 month cold storage. This was a fun beer to brew, and I'm pretty excited to continue to play around with the style.

I love how this recipe sounds, so I ended up making it with a few tweaks.
I used 2oz less of turbinado sugar and used corn sugar instead of cane. I replaced the strisslespalt with hallertau mittlefruh and the saaz with my homegrown chinook. I added those hops at 15min with the sugar and a whirl floc tablet.
At about 1.010 after primary I racked into a 6 gal carboy with a 2.5 L starter of WL Brett lambicus and 2 cups raspberry purée
I plan to referment about a week or so then cold condition for a month.

Back