Bicarbonate Level Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFryan

Reaction score
I just made a pale that seems to be loaded with off flavors. Im fairly new to Bru'n water so it may have nothing to do with my bicarbonate levels, but I figured I'd run it by everyone. I've read a lot of posts relating to bicarbonate and may not be fully comprehending it correctly. My tap water bicarbonate level is 94 ppm and my total alkalinity is 77. The screen shots of my additions are posted below. My ph was in range without lactic acid needed during my mash, and I confirmed a ph reading of 5.4 during the mash. I added the 7.3ml of lactic acid to my sparge water to get my ph in range, and again I was right on target. Should I be cutting my water with RO water (50% or more) to lower my bicarbonate levels down to the 30- 50 ppm range (or as close to zero as possible) ? Or should I have added lactic acid to the mash to bring down the bicarbonate? I know the BRN'n water sheet says bicarbonate does not have an ideal range, so I have ignored it for the most part..

So.. will a bicarbonate level of 94 ppm cause off flavors during the mash? And should I cut with RO. Or is something else glaringly obvious wrong in any of my screen shots.. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 7.46.03 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 7.46.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 7.54.31 PM.png

I doubt your adjusted water profile has anything to do with your off flavors. What kind of off flavors are you picking up?

Brew on :mug:

I'd describe it as very sharp raspy finish. Almost like putting baking soda or epsom salt directly in you mouth. I used American ale yeast II fermented at 68 degrees. If nothing appears to be problematic could my mineral levels be higher or concentrated due to an above average boil off rate on this brew?

Have you ever brewed with such high levels of calcium and sulfate in your water before?

Have you ever brewed with such high levels of calcium and sulfate in your water before?

I used the same water profile on a DIPA I made a few months back and did not have the same off finish flavor. Im not sure if it was masked by the higher ABV or not.

Based on that, it might be the sulfate and magnesium are too much for your tastes. Might want to try cutting the magnesium 3-4X and the sulfate in half for your next attempt. Too much of either can lead to harsh tastes.

Based on that, it might be the sulfate and magnesium are too much for your tastes. Might want to try cutting the magnesium 3-4X and the sulfate in half for your next attempt. Too much of either can lead to harsh tastes.

Thanks for the input. I will lower both for my next brew day. West coast IPA is on deck next and Im trying to avoid the same finish taste this beer has.
So nothing to be concerned with on the bicarbonate front? Or any other reccomendations?

Thanks for the input. I will lower both for my next brew day. West coast IPA is on deck next and Im trying to avoid the same finish taste this beer has.
So nothing to be concerned with on the bicarbonate front? Or any other reccomendations?

I don't think there is really much (if any) bicarbonate left in the water once you get down to the mash pH. Do you have any trace elements in your water, like iron, manganese, etc. Do you have a detailed ionic content report for your water you could post here?

I don't think there is really much (if any) bicarbonate left in the water once you get down to the mash pH. Do you have any trace elements in your water, like iron, manganese, etc. Do you have a detailed ionic content report for your water you could post here?

I only have the info from the Ward labs report that I posted above.

I only have the info from the Ward labs report that I posted above.

That only shows iron (which is a much more common problem than manganese), but your level doesn't look bad (it's similar to mine.)

Latest posts

Back