BIAB with multiple bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a keggle that I like to use for BIAB brewing. I've only done it one; I borrowed a big bag from a friend, but I wont borrow the bag again. Instead of getting a big bag, I was thinking I would just use a few smaller bags instead. Can anyone envision any problems with this method. Also, the first time I did BIAB, I had a lot of wort spill out when I pulled out the bag. As a result, my blichmann burner got quite dirty. Any good suggestions for cleaning the burner? Specifically where the flames come out. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing keggles pose a unique problem because they usually have a smaller cut opening. Mine has a 12" opening. I would say it is best to just get one custom made like mine. If you decide to go that route, I'll be glad to give you more information. Go to my link below to explore my 1st version bag on 'page 4' entitled 'The Bag'. Since then I re-designed it and now have 3 newer version bags plus the 1 original design.

I got wort on my Blichmann burner too. There's not much you can do to clean it off the cast iron, however you can break it down and clean up the stainless. Until you get it perfected I wouldn't clean it yet.

I would imagine using a few smaller bags would result in an efficiency loss since the grain won't be in contact with all of the water, and it might not be much fun trying to fish out several bags and drain all at once. I bought a pre made bag from Austin Homebrew, but it didn't fit around the lip of my kettle. I then bought a voile curtain sheer which has worked out well so far. I imagine you could find one that would work in a keggle for pretty cheap (<$25). I'm pretty new at all of this, so take my words with a grain of salt.

I see the smaller bags making it hard to stir the grain. If you can get past that problem it might make for an easier time when pulling them out.

I'm guessing keggles pose a unique problem because they usually have a smaller cut opening. Mine has a 12" opening. I would say it is best to just get one custom made like mine. If you decide to go that route, I'll be glad to give you more information. Go to my link below to explore my 1st version bag on 'page 4' entitled 'The Bag'. Since then I re-designed it and now have 3 newer version bags plus the 1 original design.

I got wort on my Blichmann burner too. There's not much you can do to clean it off the cast iron, however you can break it down and clean up the stainless. Until you get it perfected I wouldn't clean it yet.

I checked out the pictures and that looks perfect. Can you send me some more info please? I should be able to pick the fabric up on Friday. Also, do you have an tips for keeping the liquid from running out of the keggle when removing the bag?

I checked out the pictures and that looks perfect. Can you send me some more info please? I should be able to pick the fabric up on Friday. Also, do you have an tips for keeping the liquid from running out of the keggle when removing the bag?

I posted another picture for you. If you want the picture emailed to you and/or discuss any further send me a PM.

The trick is to have an aggresive taper on the bag. You can design a 6", 7", 8" or 9" bottom and a pulley or fixed axis over the keggle.

I wouldnt bother with multiple bags until you get to greater than 25 lb grain bills :)

The only time I have liquid spill out over the top is when I try to pull the bag out too fast. Try suspending the bag just a little over the wort until most of the liquid drains out. It is easier to suspend if you sew on a couple handles, too.

That's significantly more coarse than the Swiss voile material that is usually recommended

It is more coarse, but I have had no problems with it. I have also used the voile and didn't notice a different between the two in the finished beer. The coarse bag actually was a little easier to get more wort out of due to its porousness.

yea, i've had zero issues with mine. Just got another batch through it 10 minutes ago. I've ended up with crystal clear beer if thats what your concerned with

Latest posts

Back