BIAB volume question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeymacca

Reaction score
Hi All. I brew 3 gallon batching using the BIAB method. I use Beersmith to scale down recipes to 3 gallons. When I do this, Beersmith gives me the following for volume:
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.69 gal
End of Boil Vol: 3.39 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 2.70 gal

My question is, how many gallons should I have in my fermenter? Should it be the End of Boil Vol: 3.39 gal or the Batch Size: 3.00 gal?

Thanks!

But to answer your question, it depends on what you're after. Do you want 3 gallons to go into bottles or 3 gallons to go into the fermenter?

Hi All. I brew 3 gallon batching using the BIAB method. I use Beersmith to scale down recipes to 3 gallons. When I do this, Beersmith gives me the following for volume:
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.69 gal
End of Boil Vol: 3.39 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 2.70 gal

My question is, how many gallons should I have in my fermenter? Should it be the End of Boil Vol: 3.39 gal or the Batch Size: 3.00 gal?

Thanks!

In BeerSmith, if you define the batch size as 3 gallons that tells the program that you want 3 gallons into the fermenter.

The end of boil volume contains loss to trub and thermal expansion.

I use brewer's friend and there is a setting for target volume into fermenter, I'd set that to whatever your fermenter can hold, to maximize the yield for your efforts. My setup is designed to do 5 gallon batches, but my fermenters are 7 gallons so I always scale up to fill the fermenter with 6-6.5 gallons.

Back