BIAB used as hop spider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbransc

Reaction score
Anyone use their bag as a hop spider? I have a hop spider I've been using but I'm about to use brew an IPA with huge doses of knockout and post-boil hops. I'm thinking instead of using the hop spider, I'll use my BIAB as a liner during the boil. I have a false bottom that will keep the bag about 2.5-3" off the bottom. I'm thinking it will be easier to 'whirlpool' with my IC chiller as well without the spider in the way.

Anyone done this?

thx

I bought the Brew Bag with that intention. I didn't go with it on its first brew because it FLOATS! The hops wouldn't sink down and suspend for best utilization. Solution is something heavy like a copper mash manifold - or make a simple X or + out of two impervious "sticks" that will sink the bag and spread it out as much as you need. I received this suggestion from Rex @ BIAB but have not done so yet.

Hope it gives you ideas.

Rick

If I'm imagining what you're saying correctly (basically you just hang the bag in the pot through the boil, and dump your hops in it when it's time, and then at the end pull it out so you don't have to strain them out or something), it should work just fine, although as you boil the bag is going to want to keep lifting up unless it's awfully heavy. I'm not positive what a hop spider is, I suppose I could look it up but I'm feeling lazy, lol.

I basically used to do exactly what you're proposing though - I'd clamp a paint strainer bag to the rim of the pot in a couple places and dump my hops in as I boiled. Thing is, if you're using whole leaf hops you'll be surprised how quickly the bag gets pretty full. I still do my hop additions in paint strainer bags (tied closed and tossed in) so they've got plenty of room to move around in there while boiling, and I only put a MAX of 3 oz in one. Be sure all the hops will be able to make contact with liquid if they're whole leaf - pack them in too tight and you may find the center still dry at the end.

I bought the Brew Bag with that intention. I didn't go with it on its first brew because it FLOATS! The hops wouldn't sink down and suspend for best utilization. Solution is something heavy like a copper mash manifold - or make a simple X or + out of two impervious "sticks" that will sink the bag and spread it out as much as you need. I received this suggestion from Rex @ BIAB but have not done so yet.

Hope it gives you ideas.

Rick

That's a good recommendation, thx. I'll see if I have a couple pieces of copper or something.

5 gallon paint strainer hop spider

Hop spider and Boil.jpg

Works very well to contain hops, doesn't float and does not restrict the hops much. Not as free as chucking them directly in.

Hop spider is a must have for my setup as I use a plate chiller

I built the same thing as gavin just used a spare stainless kitchen sink flange I had in the garage.

Like I said, I have a hop spider (exactly like Gavin's) and it's worked fine. But I'm planning to really up the ante on my next 11gal batch IPA and the hop spider isn't going to be able to hold all the hop pellets after they are saturated.

I used to use a bag for hops when doing extract and what I did was put a kitchen teaspoon in the bottom of the bag to keep it from floating. There is something else that works well too called a tea ball or something like that. It's a hinged ball that is made of meshed steel like a strainer, there are different sizes so make sure to get one large enough to serve the purpose.

Like I said, I have a hop spider (exactly like Gavin's) and it's worked fine. But I'm planning to really up the ante on my next 11gal batch IPA and the hop spider isn't going to be able to hold all the hop pellets after they are saturated.

I'd be happy to fashion you a larger hop bag to your desired measurements at a reasonable cost.

I use a hop sack with my 'alton brown turkey fry' ladder setup. Works nice....I switch from my grain bag to my boil hop sock and it works great. Wish I had a pic for you OP, but yes, you can do it! Wilserbrewer orders come with a boil and dry hop bag. I have like 5, they are awesome.

Back