BIAB Robobrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Somewhat new to brewing...
I've been using a Robobrew with pump for a couple months now. So far it's good! But, it would be nicer to catch more of the sediment left over at the end.
I'm wondering if it makes sense to line the basket it comes with using a brew bag.
Will it affect the brewing process?
Will it help clean up the final beer?
OR is it just a waste?

Haven't heard of doing that...thanks!
But I'm still wondering if it's worth using a brew bag in the Robobrew to help catch some of the sediments...definitely to clarify final beer but to also protect the pump from clogging.

Not sure on mash, but you can use Muslin bags for hop additions to help keep sediment out

I too have a RoboBrew but haven't brewed in it yet. In researching before purchase, I noted those who were reviewing it had a lot of grain bits floating in the wert after mash and removal of the grain pipe. I plan on lining the inside of the RoboBrew and then mashing. That way when the mash is complete and the grains are removed, I can pull the bag and other suspended bits along with it. I already use muslin bags for hop additions, so no issues there.

I too have a RoboBrew but haven't brewed in it yet. In researching before purchase, I noted those who were reviewing it had a lot of grain bits floating in the wert after mash and removal of the grain pipe. I plan on lining the inside of the RoboBrew and then mashing. That way when the mash is complete and the grains are removed, I can pull the bag and other suspended bits along with it. I already use muslin bags for hop additions, so no issues there.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. After thinking about this a little more, one complication occurred to me: if i line the basket, it will get in the way of the malt pipe and can cause difficulties with the top basket grill.
Are you suggesting lining the Robobrew outside the basket? That might be a better approach since it'll be less in the way and work to catch floating bits before they make it to the pump.
Haven't had a chance to get brewing ingredients, but will try this when I do and see if it works.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. After thinking about this a little more, one complication occurred to me: if i line the basket, it will get in the way of the malt pipe and can cause difficulties with the top basket grill.
Are you suggesting lining the Robobrew outside the basket? That might be a better approach since it'll be less in the way and work to catch floating bits before they make it to the pump.
Haven't had a chance to get brewing ingredients, but will try this when I do and see if it works.
Exactly what I am suggesting. I don't think the large bag will work during the boil so you have to pull it out prior to boil and use a hop sock for the hop additions.

I've brewed with my robobrew once now, and I think a bag inside the malt pipe will be a lot easier than the recommended system. I don't understand why they want us to cover the malt with the second screen bit, I don't like cleaning the leftover grain off any of the system, and I don't like that it's not easy to give the mash a stir, which is SWMBO's favorite part of brewing... I'll be brewing again this weekend or next, then I'll see if that helps.

I like my Robobrew, but I still get too much loose grain in my boils.

I've just ordered a couple of BIABs from Wilser and I'm going to stop using the center pipe and the top screen altogether, and just use the BIAB. I'll report back my results.

I'd like to do 2.5gal no-sparge BIAB in a Robobrew (or similar). Would that be too awkward, or doable?

I sent mine back. I could not get it to boil 5 gallons. I set it at 216 degrees, left it for 2 hours. It never reached higher than 209 degrees. Pretty disappointed.

Yes. Apparently, its a common problem with the version of RoboBrew I had. They have "version 3" out now.

I have not seen that as a “common problem,” and I’ve been on the Robobrew FB group everyday for the last 5 months. I have version 2.1 (or 2.5, whatever you wanna call the second batch of v2 models) and have had no issues with boiling. Works even better with the Robojacket on — very vigorous.

Were you boiling outside in very cold weather?

Did your retailer replace it? If it was a dud, they’ll send you a new one. Most of the US retailers have been great about the replacement process, from what I’ve seen.

I'm a BIAB person, so I would have used a bag from the start. But regardless, what goes into the fermenter is immaterial (unless you have LOTS of grain getting in). There are many brewers who toss all of the break material in and let the yeast settle it out. Final beer will be very clear if you rack from above the grub. And as others have said, gelatin as a fining can make it crystal clear.

...what goes into the fermenter is immaterial (unless you have LOTS of grain getting in). There are many brewers who toss all of the break material in and let the yeast settle it out.

I’m not concerned with what goes on the fermenter. I’m switching to BIAB in my Robobrew to keep grain out of the BOIL. I don’t want tannins or astringency from the grain to affect taste.

Latest posts

Back