BIAB questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fransjoe

Reaction score
so, I just got an igloo 5 gallon beverage cooler from Lowes to use as a mash tun, haven't done anything to it yet and was wondering if using the 5 gallon paint strainer bags would be viable for the grain mash. I'm starting with a partial mash recipe for an English Brown ale that I want to do around late March to mid April, any ideas?

A 5 gal cooler is going to be pretty small for all-grain 5 gal batches. What you are talking about should work fine for a partial mash...though you could also just BIAB in your boil kettle wrapped in a sleeping bag/blanket.

Will a 5 gallon paint strainer bag work? Absolutely. Negative points compared to a purpose-made bag are that they are less sturdy, they have coarser filtering, and they lack any kind of drawstring or handles for hanging/hoisting.

But none of those cons will prevent you from using it at least a few times, which is more than enough to decide if you like the process.

I used paint strainer bags with my 10 gallon kettle for years. I would use the ones with the elastic at the top and I doubled them up for strength. I just switched to an actual biab bag when I upgraded to a 15 gallon kettle.

I used generic paint strainer bags for a while when I started BIAB and they work. They do not work nearly as well as getting a voile bag, like wilser's, which is stronger and smaller mesh. But yes, they will work. I have since gotten a Corona mill and grind much finer and would never go back to using paint strainer bags, primarily for the mesh size.

I don't biab but the purpose built bags are so inexpensive I would definitely go that route. I paint for a living when I'm unemployed in my regular career. I've found paint strainer bags to be all over the place as for as quality, size, and gauge of straining. I'm going to order one of the bags from wilser for my igloo, just to give it a go for giggles. Figure if I'm going to try biab I want to give it the best chance for me to like it.

Back