BIAB Pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
New to biab. Transferring from extract and want to get into AG. I can only forsee making 5 gallon batches. I dont want to limit myself. How big of a pot do I need. 10 or 15 gallons? I was planning on 15. But, if 10 will do it, I'd rather save some cash. Thanks in advance!

I have a 9 gallon pot and wished I had got the 15. I've done a couple Biab and the max amount of grain I can get in comfortably is 10 lbs so it does limit the types of beers I can brew.

I do full volume/grains in 40 qt for my 5 or 5.5 gal batches. That seems to be the norm

I've been doing 5 gallon batches in a 30 quart pot. Bigger might be better but it's been working for me. I can put 5 1/4 gallons into the fermenter with that and get 2 cases of beer in 12 oz bottles. The biggest beer I have done with that had an OG of about 1.070 but I think I could go a little more. One thing that has made that high of an OG possible is getting my brewhouse efficiency up to 85% or a little better. It takes a find grind of the grains to do that though.

I've got a 44qt. Bayou Classic with a basket. Seems ideal to me, have had around 12lbs. of grain in it so far.

Back