BIAB Mash recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to say between .25 and .3, but I haven't been able to brew in a few months and I'd have to break out the gap feelers.

Cool. I'm perfectly at .023" all the way through. Wondering if I should increase it some?

Half of home brewing seems to be an iterative process of "huh, this bad thing happened, better take a step to fix that!"

For me, first time it was "well, this smaller batch ended up with me scorching my element when it partially dry fired. Better shoot for 7 gallons in the fermenter next time."

Second time was "huh. Apparently hops will coagulate on my element, causing it to dry fire while under water somehow. Better use a hop bag."

Since we're shooting for a gravity rather than a volume at the end of the boil, I'd keep it right there unless it's causing you problems (i.e. efficiency too low? Decrease gap and try again. Too much flour getting through your bag? Get a new bag [because, if you're like me, you've punched holes in that bag from sheer clumsiness several times] or increase the gap.)

Yea. Sadly, I haven't used my mill, nor my bag yet, but it is a bag from BIAB.com so I assume it's going to be good! I'm trying to get things setup at the most ideal assumptions possible.

I think I'm going to go to .027-.028 as a starting point! It seems like .023" is extreme for a starting point. Even at .027-.028, that's lower than the "credit card" saying, so no doubt it should be an efficient setting!

I am trying to max out what I can make by filling the Sanke kettle and fermenter to the top (55 litre). After mash I have to add water to top up.

This time I hung the bag and poured my makeup water through the grains into a bucket below. I was surprised by the gravity of what was coming out.

I did this until I had max boil volume and then continued added what had dripped every 15 minutes or so as the boil made room. I tried squeezing but just waiting seemed to do just as well.

I think this will be my new process. (As mentioned it does help to forget exactly what your info and try something different every time)

Tom

New member, first post:
I started brewing some 35 years ago with a can of malt extract, the lobster pot, and some used 12 oz bottles. Gradually buying more equipment and improving the product. I now have a 5G and a 10G brewpot, Trubtrapper, 34 x 19 bag with loops, coil chiller, two roller mill, two 8G fermenters, bench mounted bottle capper, and my latest toy? a sous-vide immersion cooker SWMBO got me for Christmas. (She Who Must Be Obeyed). The sous-vide works great for holding mash temperatures and I no longer need the thermal wrap I made from reflective insulation. Step mashing is also easy peasy. I drop the sous vide into a hop basket to keep the bag away from the heating element and impeller. A pulley system installed in the ceiling allows the bag to drain while I squeeze the bag like it owes me money. I sparge with 170F water heated in the teapot, collecting wort to top off to 8G to start the boil. Now brew 6G batches once a month and use mainly 16oz and 22oz bottles.

Last edited:
Back