BIAB first attempt. Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I attempted to brew an Irish Red, using US-05 at 66f for 7 days, then ramped up to 75f (ambient) for 4 days. OG was 1.046 and have a couple steady readings of 1.011. When I removed the lid from the big mouth bubbler, it was loose. Here is a pic of the wort (the center spot was where I used a wine thief). Is this infected? I was going to cold crash and see what happens.
IMG_0281.JPG

No horrible smell. I was alarmed by the loose lid and all of the bubbling appearance. I didn’t even think about it being yeast. Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease.

Probably just yeast. Fermentation produces co2 as a byproduct, that is what is pushing your lid off. You could use tape to hold it down, if you have the carrier, cross the handles over the lid and use zip ties to hold it down, google will get you a file for a 3d printed clamp to hold it down, or do what i did and put a 10lb plate weight on it. The hole is plenty big for a 3 piece airlock to fit, not so much an S-type though

This is typical US-05 fermentation foam. Sometime it not fall and after two weeks, sometimes fall after ten days.

Back