BIAB Basket Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseMonk

Reaction score
Hey All,
Just think about getting into full volume BIAB soon (eBIAB to be specific) just to simplify my brew days and equipment needs (who would have thought 2 kids would eat up that much of my time?)...

Don't ask me why, because I can't give you an answer grounded in fact, but I am more inclined to go with a SS basket setup rather than the polyester bags you mostly see out there for my long term brewing desires. And most of the baskets (ArborFab, etc) seem to be much finer than say a typical false bottom for std all-grain brewing. Why do you not see baskets created out of the same 3/32" holes on 5/32" centers material that most false bottoms are made from? Does the finer crush with BIAB pose an issue to this type of setup? Just curious if any has ever made or used a basket made of 3/32" x 5/32" perf, what that experience was like, good or bad.

I plan to direct fire (initially with propane and then move into electrically fired) and constant recirc if this makes any difference...

Cheers!

One thing a lot of us BIAB folks do is employ a very, very fine crush (which you mentioned). Cornmeal like, with some flour. Heck, some guys out there use a blender to crush!

I've never brewed any other way than with a bag, but my suspicion would be that a basket with holes that are almost 1/8" inch in diameter would allow a great deal of material to enter the kettle. I would also suspect that could lead to a scroching problem for an eBIAB set up.

And just to throw it out there, have you checked out Wilserbrewer's bags? I just ordered two during his black Friday special. I've read that some people have gotten over 100 batches with a single bag with no signs if slowing down. Looking forward to getting mine!

Thanks, TexasWine, for the feedback. I know I initially get a fair amount grain material through my existing false bottom until I recirc for a few minutes and then the grain bed starts to filter itself clean. But like you mention, the finer crush may be too much for it to handle and why many of the baskets are made from the SS mesh and not false bottom perf.

I have looked at Wilserbrewers bags (and many others online), and have read all the great feedback. I just get hung up on plastics in the hot side of my brewery and have never seen any proof that polyester voile is foodsafe at high temps. I reference having no factual info to back up my feelings, I just really like to keep all my hot side materials as stainless, copper, and high-temp silicon. I'm silly that way...

Thanks, TexasWine, for the feedback. I know I initially get a fair amount grain material through my existing false bottom until I recirc for a few minutes and then the grain bed starts to filter itself clean. But like you mention, the finer crush may be too much for it to handle and why many of the baskets are made from the SS mesh and not false bottom perf.

I have looked at Wilserbrewers bags (and many others online), and have read all the great feedback. I just get hung up on plastics in the hot side of my brewery and have never seen any proof that polyester voile is foodsafe at high temps. I reference having no factual info to back up my feelings, I just really like to keep all my hot side materials as stainless, copper, and high-temp silicon. I'm silly that way...

Wait a minute, you're stressing about the possibility of the polyester not being food safe while making ethanol which has known deleterious effects on the body? You need to get your priorities in order.:cross:

Wait a minute, you're stressing about the possibility of the polyester not being food safe while making ethanol which has known deleterious effects on the body? You need to get your priorities in order.:cross:

Only in the improper quantities...:drunk:

I am wandering down this path myself. I am having a custom basket made for me by Jay at NorCal. Reasoning? Well I tried the bag and found too much sediment in the kettle for electric brewing. Scorched some hefeweizen. So my thought is along the lines of another member's build where he cut the bottom out of a SS pot and welded in a Blichmann false bottom. With constant recirculation you create a grain bed just like fly sparging which actually keeps all of the "stuff" in the mash basket.

Here is the thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/my-ebiab-single-vessel-build-353017/index4.html

When I contacted Jay about doing this he suggested making a basket/collander instead of using a pot. So what we/he came up with was a basket that will hang from the top of my keggle supported by 4 1/2" SS pipes with one of his false bottoms making the entire bottom of the basket. So the liquid will only flow out of the bottom, not the sides.

My plan is to not run the elements until the wort has mostly cleared after stirring as I like to do step mashes. Maybe stir at the beginning and stir at the end of mashout, recirc then lift the basket out.

Anyway, it is being built now so I do not have any photos or experience yet. But I will share my experiences in the BIAB forum after it arrives.

I hadn't seen those Arborfab screen baskets before. I wonder what custom costs. It would be nice to have a 5/10/15 gallon reinforced one with a lifting handle or one that fit inside a steamer basket to have all-metal BIABasket. I suppose one could take some stainless screen mesh and cut it to fit inside their steamer basket to accomplish roughly the same thing. The screen being pressed against the walls of the steamer basket would inhibit some drainage though. Having a rigid metal frame to keep the mesh from pressing directly against the steamer basket would help drainage. You could also drill a zillion holes in the bottom of a 8 gallon pot, bolt some stainless mesh across the bottom, leaving bolt heads to stick out the botton. Put the 8 gallon strainer pot inside your 10 gallon boil pot. The bolts will hold the inner pot off of the bottom and help prevent scorching. BIABasket.

Hey Bassman,
Please let me know how this works once you get a chance to test everything out. I think what you outlined is really what I've had in my mind. Sounds very promising to me...

Cheers,
Brian

I am wandering down this path myself. I am having a custom basket made for me by Jay at NorCal. Reasoning? Well I tried the bag and found too much sediment in the kettle for electric brewing. Scorched some hefeweizen. So my thought is along the lines of another member's build where he cut the bottom out of a SS pot and welded in a Blichmann false bottom. With constant recirculation you create a grain bed just like fly sparging which actually keeps all of the "stuff" in the mash basket.

Here is the thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/my-ebiab-single-vessel-build-353017/index4.html

When I contacted Jay about doing this he suggested making a basket/collander instead of using a pot. So what we/he came up with was a basket that will hang from the top of my keggle supported by 4 1/2" SS pipes with one of his false bottoms making the entire bottom of the basket. So the liquid will only flow out of the bottom, not the sides.

My plan is to not run the elements until the wort has mostly cleared after stirring as I like to do step mashes. Maybe stir at the beginning and stir at the end of mashout, recirc then lift the basket out.

Anyway, it is being built now so I do not have any photos or experience yet. But I will share my experiences in the BIAB forum after it arrives.

You are correct, and I didn't intent for this to become a thread about plastic vs stainless. No doubt that the polyester is flavorless. Its just not something I want to brew with (hotside) for the long term.

I do appreciate all the feedback from everyone so far.

Cheers,
Brian
I don't think it's flavor he's concerned about.

I feel like it would be ideal to have the screen part of the bottom of the basket in a slight cone shape to help direct the flow to one spot when the basket is lifted. The support structure could rest flat, just have the screen come to a slight point in the center of the bottom. Would that help?

Hey Bassman,
Please let me know how this works once you get a chance to test everything out. I think what you outlined is really what I've had in my mind. Sounds very promising to me...

Cheers,
Brian

Sure. It is a bit more expensive than the affordable bags but I view this as a one-time purchase for years of service. Should be easy to clean and store inside the keg as well.

FWIW, I use paint strainer bags and then drilled larger holes in the bottom of my steamer basket to get a nice flow through the grains when recirculating the mash. I also limit the flow on my pump, don't need that thing going full force during the mash.

Sure. It is a bit more expensive than the affordable bags but I view this as a one-time purchase for years of service. Should be easy to clean and store inside the keg as well.

Hey Bassman,
Any updates on your basket project? I am still researching a bit on my end. Just curious if you move forward with NorCal (I have had 4 of his FBs in various setups and love all of them) on you final design. I'd love to hear any feedback you might have at this point...

Cheers,
Brian

Don't ask me why, because I can't give you an answer grounded in fact, but I am more inclined to go with a SS basket setup rather than the polyester bags you mostly see out there...

If you use a cooler, why not just a bigger cooler with a false bottom? And if not a cooler, then why not a full volume kettle mash tun with a false bottom or bazooka.

Seems easier if you just don't want a bag for some reason.

Hey Bassman,
Any updates on your basket project? I am still researching a bit on my end. Just curious if you move forward with NorCal (I have had 4 of his FBs in various setups and love all of them) on you final design. I'd love to hear any feedback you might have at this point...

Cheers,
Brian

Hey Brian,

I have the mash basket and Jay did and excellent job. I have been travelling over the holidays and am also working on my keg. So I have not been able to brew yet. I will update this post after the first brew day and let you know how it goes. So far it looks like the basket will be a winner.

Hey Brian,

I have the mash basket and Jay did and excellent job. I have been travelling over the holidays and am also working on my keg. So I have not been able to brew yet. I will update this post after the first brew day and let you know how it goes. So far it looks like the basket will be a winner.

I know this is an old thread, but you said you'd update after the first brew day. Wondering how it went and if you have any pictures of the finished product. Would love to see it!

I too use a basket now. 400 microns mesh. fantastic and easy to clean with just a garden hose

View attachment 289326
View attachment 289327
Here's a couple pics of my setup. I've only brewed two batches with it so far but absolutely love it. Simple to use and easier to clean.

I saw the picture of this on ArborFab's website (or maybe Utah Biodiesel)

I've got to save up some scratch, but this is the direction I'll probably go. Looks awesome!

Hello,

I have been using my basket from NorCal and it is made really well. My hopes for the false bottom were a little optimistic though. Not that the false bottom does not work but I have added a BIAB bag to keep more sediment in place. The initial dough in lets a lot of stuff fall through to the kettle with just the false bottom alone. I bed will form just fine, but I am not happy with the initial amount of sediment.

If you had a conical it would be no problem as you could recirculate and all of the stuff would wind up in your grain bed.

I am planning on making a YouTube channel with my entire setup. But for now, here are the photos of just the basket.

Custom Basket 1 (1).jpg

Custom Basket 1 (2).jpg

Custom Basket 1 (3).jpg

The initial dough in lets a lot of stuff fall through to the kettle with just the false bottom alone. I bed will form just fine, but I am not happy with the initial amount of sediment.

You've probably already tried this, and if so...no worries. I was reading this post the other day:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=270963

He says that one thing he does to reduce the amount of sediment is give his grain bag a good shake to allow the flour to fall out.

Well, that flour at least from what I understand, is part of what is going to give you your sugar (i.e. it's powdered starches). BUT...you could try a variation of this method to get a similar result maybe.

1. Dump your grain into your basket, but do it over a plastic bucket.
2. Give your basket a few good shakes...or even shake it and stir it a bit with a mash spoon. (Your grain is still dry at this point so the flour will drop right out.)
3. With your water already in your kettle, put your basket into your kettle.
4. Pour the "flour" and the stuff that fell into the bucket onto the top of your grain bed. This way there will be a lot of grain material those little guys have to go through in order to get back to the bottom.

What do you think?

Hey Thanks. I have not tried this but I have an active thread about sediment right now. I am thinking of something similar which would be to mill my grain, add about three gallons of strike water to the bucket and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then pouring all of this into my basket/bag to continue the mash.

Hoping this will turn all of the flour into larger bits which stay in the bag rather than flow through.

Vorlauf a couple gal of wort before you pull the basket, I do it with mine and it makes for pretty clear wort.

Latest posts

Back