Better bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrito

Reaction score
Who has used them and do you recommend? I am thinking of picking one up nearby off Craig's list for $10. Claims there are no scratches

The best thing I ever did was trade some 45 Cooper's PET bottles to another member for his 6 gallon BB. That thing is great for a secondary. I don't use it often for that,save for oaking or something. I also use it to get spring water from White House Artisian Springs @ 25c per gallon. Definitely handy to have & safer than glass carboys. They clean easy too.:mug:

Unlike glass, you can't scrub them with a brush inside to get rid of that krausen ring...but you can swish around a bit of water and a paper towel and do just as well. Also unlike glass, they'll flex and cause some suckback from a 3-piece airlock if you move them around or crash-cool in them...but you can swap in a mini-rubber bung in the center hole of the big bung in place of the airlock in those instances. I have heard they are more porous than glass and that can cause oxidation problems on very long secondary, but I can't verify that.

In all other ways, IMO, they are vastly superior to glass. Lighter and easier to move around. Bigger opening easier to add hops, pull out hop bags, siphon from, etc. Little "bump" in the bottom is great as a resting spot for the siphon (above the trub). I especially like the fact that a Better Bottle isn't going to break into deadly shards and send my ass to the ER or the morgue!

I advise fermenting in a 6gal and racking to a 5gal; This gives you room for the kraeusen and then minimizes headspace when CO2 emission is much reduced.
You can clean the kraeusen off with a Swiffer wand with a sponge attached by a rubber band. For cleaning the shoulder I attach a sponge to a scuba snorkel's mouthpiece.
One way to prevent suckback problems: don't put crap in the bubbler, only something you won't mind in your beer; add a cotton filter tube after the bubbler to filter out airborne crud; put the whole assembly in a poly bag, held on with two large rubber bands.
You let the CO2 fill the bag, purge it a few times, and let the CO2 form a buffer volume if you should get suckback.
I did experiment with exposing some beer to air, and it was AWFUL.
I always have some compressed inert gas on hand; It's not worth spoiling a batch for lack of cheap gas like CO2.

I use a 6 gallon with spigot for iodophor solution. I use it as needed for sanitizing anything that needs sanitizing. I also keep a spray bottle full for counters, etc. It is great just in that aspect.

I have two 5 gal carboys, one glass and one PET. I use the plastic one a lot. When making a light beer such as a cream ale, APA, etc. I rack the beer to the plastic carboy and chill it to 40F which is perfect for gelatin fining. 2-3 days and it's ready for the keg. Much lighter and easier to handle than a glass carboy. And let it soak a half hour with some warm PBW water and it is clean...no scrubbing needed.

The only drawback to PET (other than the concern over scratches) is that it is fairly permeable to o2. For short periods (less than a few weeks) this is probably of little concern. But over several weeks or months the possibility of oxidization of the beer increases. So the glass carboy comes to the rescue. For long-term aged beers such as imperial stouts, etc. the glass carboy is the tool of choice.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

:mug:

if y'all don't throw your full 6.5 gallon glass carboys around, yer doin' it wrong! I recently started fermenting my beer in Goliath's skull. but I tend to get nervous when that little Hobbit starts swingin' that sling in my basement.

I have 5 3-gal better bottles for fermenting. Love them, as i have to cart the full carboy from the kitchen down to the basement where I have my fermenting room. The one question I would ask before buying a used one is "how did you clean the carboy?" If he says he used a brush, walk away. It doesn't mean that care was not taken, but you cannot see fine scratches which will harbor bacteria.

I clean mine with a 30 minute soak with PBW and a rinse with warm (110F to 120F) water. Any dried material rinses right away!

I use a bb (with spigot and bottling attachment) as my bottling bucket. Works a treat!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I love my Better Bottles. I have four 6 gallon ones and one 5. I have started wine making also so I need more.

I like seeing the ferment. I also find them easiest to clean. Even easier than my buckets. I soak overnight with Oxyclean, rinse, add a washcloth and about a quart of water and swirl it all around. Rinse more and done. The longest part is filling it with water/Oxyclean. The rinsing part takes maybe 10 minutes.

I will never own a glass carboy. They are too risky.

I love my Better Bottles. I have four 6 gallon ones and one 5. I have started wine making also so I need more.

I like seeing the ferment. I also find them easiest to clean. Even easier than my buckets. I soak overnight with Oxyclean, rinse, add a washcloth and about a quart of water and swirl it all around. Rinse more and done. The longest part is filling it with water/Oxyclean. The rinsing part takes maybe 10 minutes.

I will never own a glass carboy. They are too risky.

I know what you mean. I've had my glass carboys for 15 years and never broke one. they're almost like driving a car or crossing the street.

Voice of dissent here:

I've been brewing almost 2 years, using BBs most of that time (Ale Pail when I want to top-crop yeast or open ferment), but I'm done with them. For one thing, they're not unbreakable as advertised. I've had 2 break on me in that time - one when full of an Irish Red, slipped from my hands, less than a foot from the concrete basement floor as I was putting it into the FC. Bottom broke, wort everywhere.

The second one just broke this week - filled with PBW solution (water first, then add PBW, as instructed), next morning the BB was empty and close inspection revealed a hairline crack in the bottom. Luckily it was in the utility sink, so no mess. An identical BB in the next sink treated exactly the same had no problem. This was after transferring a brew to 5 gal BBs, so it had held beer throughout fermentation, then must have developed a crack during cleaning.

OTOH, I had a full BB slip right out of the blue handle they make for them, and it bounced down the basement steps - didn't break, minimal mess. Beer turned out fine, but I don't trust that handle style anymore, that's for sure.

Now, a broken BB is a whole hell of a lot safer than a broken glass carboy, no doubt. Safety counts, and I'd never knock someone for choosing BBs for that reason.

I've also never felt confident about being able to get them clean without being able to actually scrub them, either. Haven't had a batch go bad on me, it's just a feeling, but I can't shake it. I really want to scrub it, if only with a soft sponge like I use with my Ale Pails.

I've never noticed any oxidation flavor, but never had beer more than a month in them - the couple times I've lagered, I've done so in corneys, using same keg for lagering and serving.

For my money, I'm moving to glass carboys - 6.5 gallon for extra headspace during primary. They're smooth walled, easy to clean with brush, and there's an available heavy duty canvas bag with handles for carrying that I'll get. If god forbid I drop a full one on the way from the garage brew space to the basement fermentation station, the glass shards will be contained. I'll use locking handles for maneuvering during cleaning, etc.

I wouldn't recommend BBs to other brewers anymore, but I wouldn't recommend glass without adequate safety precautions, either.

I see so many folks using PBW and Oxi products on PET carboys - yes it'll clean them, but that type of cleaner is not perfered by the manufacturer or the plastic.

Use a safe, enzymatic cleaner on your bottles (as recommended and endorsed by the manfacturer) and you'll have no issues at all with the micro-cracks/haziness/etc that seem to plague long term oxi cleaner users.

Folks:
Everything can break, so put your 'boys in a poly pail or your metal boil pot.
As far as scratching PET, so what? You're not raising Ebola virus; just hit the little buggers with StarSan and listen to 'em scream. When quiet, proceed.

I see so many folks using PBW and Oxi products on PET carboys - yes it'll clean them, but that type of cleaner is not perfered by the manufacturer or the plastic.

Use a safe, enzymatic cleaner on your bottles (as recommended and endorsed by the manfacturer) and you'll have no issues at all with the micro-cracks/haziness/etc that seem to plague long term oxi cleaner users.

please do not pass on false info.

http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html

The real point about BB & PBW is the temp. You can't use it hot in BB's. works quick & easy in mine at 1.5ozs per gallon of water at room temp.

The real point about BB & PBW is the temp. You can't use it hot in BB's. works quick & easy in mine at 1.5ozs per gallon of water at room temp.

But not too hot (our hot water heater used to be set on HELLFIRE mode), and don't let it soak too long, cool, and cavitate and warp the shoulders of the BBs.

How am I passing on false info? Read the page, read the docs. The manufacturer recommends an enzyme based cleaner, it's even highlighted and bolded. Could you use something else to clean? Sure you can.

They do put the caveat that you can use alternate forms of cleaning, if properly diluted and added according to their(BB) documentation. Contact times should be minimized at all costs, and total percentage of solution should be 1%.

I have a strong suspicion that many of the "micro crack" issues found in the BB carboys are due to not following the manufacturers instructions regarding non-enzyme cleaners.

If you want to just set/forget, use an enzyme wash. I do, works fine.

I've been using my Better Bottles for up to 3 years (the original ones, the older ones are at least 2 years old) I have had zero issues with them. I use Oxyclean, 1/3 scoop in 6 gallons of hot water. My water heater is not set too high. I have left them soaking for many days. I think once the oxygen cleaning is done you just have dirty water in there. I don't foresee any issues in the next few years given the past.

My biggest issue right now is I don't have enough of them.

I would expect that if you drop a full one it might break. I rock mine on a baseball to aerate. Again no issues. Damn! I just jinxed myself!

please do not pass on false info.

I think he has a good point and I'm glad he brought it up. The manufacturer warns against using caustic cleansers and here's what their website says about PBW:

" A 0.5% solution of Five Star PBW detergent can be made by mixing 5 grams per liter of water or 0.67 oz (19 grams or about a level table spoon) per gallon-US (3.78 liters) of water. Note that a 0.5% solution of PBW will have a pH approaching 12, whch is quite caustic."

I'm going to find another cleaner to use with my PET bottle.

Cheers!
:mug:

Watched a Better Bottle Shrink up like a raisin today at a wort share... They are only rated for 140 degrees and I think that may be a little liberal... They put 200 degree water into it, it was fun and costly to watch. My non shrinking experience with them has been good. In fact they have seemed easier to clean then my glass carboy. Im assuming because its easier to shake the hell out of them.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I had 2 glass carboys but somehow lost one. (No idea how I did that) now I have one and will probably pick up a better bottle for a batch of APA I'm about to get going in a couple weeks

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I had 2 glass carboys but somehow lost one. (No idea how I did that) now I have one and will probably pick up a better bottle for a batch of APA I'm about to get going in a couple weeks

This has been a very informative thread. I'm glad you started it. PET bottles are a really good product. But like everything else, nothing is perfect and it pays to know the product's limitations.

Cheers and happy brewing! :mug:

Watched a Better Bottle Shrink up like a raisin today at a wort share... They are only rated for 140 degrees and I think that may be a little liberal... They put 200 degree water into it, it was fun and costly to watch. My non shrinking experience with them has been good. In fact they have seemed easier to clean then my glass carboy. Im assuming because its easier to shake the hell out of them.

why would anyone put that degree of hot water into any carboy? Putting 200 degree water into a Better Bottle is the same as dropping a glass carboy 2 feet onto a concrete floor

It says right on the better bottle not to usr 140F water. I use room temp water with a little PBW to clean mine. Just 1TBSP maybe for a gallon or so of water.

I own 3 Better Bottles and like them a lot but I got tired of the blowoff problem so I got an 8gal Spiedel tank for primaries and then transfer (secondary) in my BBs.

Who has used them and do you recommend? I am thinking of picking one up nearby off Craig's list for $10. Claims there are no scratches

I have an assortment of BB's- 3,5, &. 6 gal. I've used these exclusively since I began brewing 3+ years ago. I do six gal AG beers & split into 2 5 gal BB's for primary, then to 3 gal BB's for secondary & or dry hopping.
I them keg condition in 3 gal kegs.

They're obviously lighter, don't break (but you can melt if you do something stupid!) easy to clean w/ B-Brite & hot water. I rarely have to do more than a light touch up of the krausen line. Never had to scrub.

When I move my beer or wine I simply replace the airlock w/ a sanitized solid stopper/bung.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back