Better Bottle smells like bleach...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos_Being

Reaction score
After I bottled my spiced holiday porter, it took me a few days to get around to cleaing out the BB that it had been in. I had used some high-quality cinnamon in the beer that had a high oil content- well, the oil dried to a scum all over the inside of the bottle, that two soakings in Oxyclean didn't even dent. Annoyed, I then soaked the bottle in a solution of diswasher detergent (the powdered kind,) which stripped the oil right off. Unfortunately, the powder contained bleach and even after repeated rinses and a day-long soak in water, I can't get the bleach smell out of the BB. (in hindsight, I probably could have swished a rag around inside, but too late now.)

I'm going to try another Oxyclean soak to see if that will strip the smell out, but I'm also looking for other suggestions. If I can't get rid of the smell, I think I will need to throw it away, because I certainly don't want any beer picking up a bleachy off-taste. Help!

I guess camden would be better than bleach though...?

Anyways I'm going to do something to it this evening, I didn't have time yesterday. I did notice that the smell faded once the BB dried though, so it only seems to smell like bleach when it's wet.

Back