Better Bottle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodDogShelby

Reaction score
As the temperature is getting up there, I've begun to put my fermentation bucket in a water bath with a wet towel. My question is that I have a ported BetterBottle with a valve. Any issues with setting this in a tub of water? I guess I'll have to sanitize the heck out of it if I use the valve to empty the BB.

I would think just setting it in some Starsan before racking. Plus you should probably have some bleach in that water soak anyway to prevent stuff from growing.

I wouldn't leave that sitting in water. The valve is probably liquid-tight but I don't know if it would keep out any bacteria that might drift into the valve. I don't know how well you could sanitize it before using it without being able to run sanitizer through it. At a minimum I would not use the valve to empty the beer if it's been sitting in water. Just seems like a huge, unnecessary risk.

GoodDogShelby said:
I did add a teaspoon per gallon of water in the plastic tub (roughly)

So it's essentially sitting in sanitizer. Just rinse it really well and spray with starsan. I would probably dump the first cup to make sure all the bleach is out of the valve.

Back