Betadine ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMrFrosty

Reaction score
After doing only 4 brews I am already not too happy about using a chlorine based sanitizer because of all the rinsing involved. So I have decided to go and find a non-rinse solution. Living where I do I cant get any of the brands that get mentioned here except for something called Betadine. It's manufactured by a Hungarian company so I wanted to check its the same. Its labelled as Povidonum iodinatum 100 mg in 1 ml aqueous solution (corresponds to 10% solution) and ingrediants are glycerol, nonoxynol, citric acid, purified water, disodium hydrogen phosphate, sodium hydroxide.

Would a kind soul please check the bottle of Betadine they use for a non-rinse and see if its the same stuff?

Betadine is mostly Iodine. It is typically a topical antibacterial cleaner used in the medical field. I currently have some stiches in my finger that I clean with Betadine.

All that said, there are plenty of iodine-based sanatizers branded for homebrew use, so I'm sure this would be fine, but all of the iodine-based sanatizers I've ever used certainly require rinsing as well, and are also known to discolor pretty much everything they come in contact with.

Why not buy a big thing of StarSan? It is no rinse, acid based sanatizer. I put about 2oz of StarSan in a spray bottle full of water and just spray everything once on brew day once it is clean.

32oz of StarSan typically last me about a year, and I brew about 20-25 batches a year, so at $18-25 for a quart, that's less than $1.00 per brewday to avoid all of the hassel you want to avoid.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O7YFA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
'providone iodine' is the generic version of Betadine (Betadine is a brand name).

though i would try to find a better sanitizer, or make your own from iodine crystals (which you can get online). i dont like nonoxynol-9, glycerine, or all that elemental sodium in my beer

I use vidine, it is a iodine solution made for medical uses. the bottle says it is 10% iodine. i got the idea from UK message boards. For a no rinse solution I add 5ml to 4l of water.

I cant 100% vouch for its effectiveness as i have had some infection issues. But I think that is from other sources and I only use the iodine for bottling.

Betadine is mostly Iodine. It is typically a topical antibacterial cleaner used in the medical field. I currently have some stiches in my finger that I clean with Betadine.

All that said, there are plenty of iodine-based sanatizers branded for homebrew use, so I'm sure this would be fine, but all of the iodine-based sanatizers I've ever used certainly require rinsing as well, and are also known to discolor pretty much everything they come in contact with.

Why not buy a big thing of StarSan? It is no rinse, acid based sanatizer. I put about 2oz of StarSan in a spray bottle full of water and just spray everything once on brew day once it is clean.

32oz of StarSan typically last me about a year, and I brew about 20-25 batches a year, so at $18-25 for a quart, that's less than $1.00 per brewday to avoid all of the hassel you want to avoid.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O7YFA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Snuh? You have a 10 gallon spray bottle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back