Best way to use multiple hop varieties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
my favorate ipa, I haven't tried many as they're hard to come by here believe it or not, is brew dog's punk ipa. I like it because I can pick out about four distinct hop flavours. any of my ipas are not like this, the flavours all sort of blend into one and I wouldn't be able to identify them by taste. Is there a technique to doing this?
should I boil each hop for a different length of time?
Do certain hops not complement each other?
should I consider the alpha acid level when choosing the proportions of hops to each other?

1) Bittering, Flavoring and Aroma additions.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, some hops are terrible together.
4) Yes, too heavy on the alpha acids in the bittering and flavoring additions can be detrimental.

But can I further divide up the flavour addition? lets say I have a 20min, 15min and 10min of 3 different varieties, respectively. Would that effectively give me 3 distinct flavours?

The longer you boil, the less flavor because those essential oils get boiled off. So varying the timing of the addition changes the degree to which that hop will contribute its flavor. The later the addition, the more dominant that flavor should be.

The bittering hops (look at charts) are added early... usually at 60 min.
Then maybe a flavor hop at 15 or 30
Then another dose of the bittering hop maybe at 5 or 15
Then the final flavor/aroma hop at 5 and 0
Then dry hops after fermentation and transferring to bright tank for that aroma POP.
IPA's are usually in the 50-100 IBU range, and should be drank fresh.

Back