Best suited home brew system for a tiny space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
Ok. So I live in an apartment in nyc and want to upgrade my aluminum kettle and 5 gallon cooler. Here's what I was thinking;
-A 10 gallon stainless steel kettle retro fitted with a ball valve at the bottom and the top to the side.
-A electric heating element with a temperature control piece to automate it. @ 120V so it can plug right into any socket. (Or 2 if needed)
-A high false bottom (or lobster boiling basket) to hold a BIAB brew in a bag system that sits above the heating element.
-A pump
-& tubing.

So here's my thinking; An electric RIMS system that circulates the mash.
The grain is in a bag and steel basket that sits above the heating element.
When the mash is complete the bag can be propped above the kettle and sparge water added. (Think about a lobster basket thingy being propped up above the kettle)
The heating element provides a mash out once the mash is over. Bag of grain propped up and cold water from tap used to sparge more liquid into kettle.
Remove bag of grain completely and boil as usual.

I roll vertically with a 3rd tier mash tun to make 10 gallons. Boil and dispense on the second. Kegs on the lowest.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=271174&stc=1&d=1429085256

IMG_0018.jpg

Sounds like you're on the right track. The mash out, sparge, and recirculation are all optional (I do the sparge but no mashout or recirc), but a well-done eBIAB setup is about as small a footprint as an all-grain brewer can get. A mad scientist with no space for a bucket could even ferment in the kettle if it came down to it by using silicon tubing and clamps to hold the lid on tight, and a truly insane brewer could even design and fab a kettle that can ferment under pressure so you could dispense carbed beer directly from your brew system. For most of us, though, a single vessel that gets us from grain into the fermenter is a good start.

Back