Best Strike Water Temp. Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I've been brewing all grain for a few years now and have never been able to settle on a good calculator that determines (1) the amount of water I need and (2) strike temps. I always seem to be a bit off.

I use a standard 10 gallon Igloo cooler as my mash tun.

Anyone using this cooler have any good suggestions?

Thanks

Do you keep brewing logs? If you have a record of your "errors" you could add a correction factor to the model that is specific to the thermal mass of your cooler.

I use the Brewers Friend calculator and it works great...usually I overshoot a few degrees then stir until I'm at the target strike temp.

Since everyone's MLT is a bit different I doubt there is a one size fits all solution. I use beersmith and it works great but I needed to adjust the settings using some trial and error.

When in doubt, mash in a bit hot. You can always cool it off fairly easily with a few ice cubes or simply by stiring it some more. Heating it is a bit harder unless you MLT is a metal pot with direct fire or something like that.

brew365.com calculator had done me good after i adjusted it to my setup

Back