Best solution for a really cloudy EIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I kegged my EIPA last night, very hoppy and young/green tasting, which is ok, all that will (should) mellow out with a bit of time.

It was VERY cloudy, however, which I am thinking is largely due to the dry hops (1.5 oz EKG in each carboy) because I took a gravity reading when I put the dry hops in and it was fairly clear at that point. Not anymore, now it looks like apple cider.

Here's what I'm thinking as possible solutions:

1- continue to let it carb up under 10 PSI in the fridge for a week as normal and hope everything falls out of suspension. First pint will be murky, but oh well. (this is the RDWHAHB solution)

2- disconnect the CO2 let it sit for another day in the fridge and then rack into another keg, leaving about 1" of sediment behind

3- same as #2 above, but add gelatin first.

What do you guys think? Would you do something different?

Cheers!

Any and all are reasonable methods to help clear your beer.

Frankly, I would not add Gelatin until/unless it proves to not clear just by being put in the cold kegerator and left alone. You already had a clear beer once, it *should* clear up again.

Of course, keep in mind that a light haze is not uncommon in a dry hopped beer. Usually it's hazier the more hops you put in and 1.5 ounces of hops is not a lot.

If, after it still does not clear, then I would try gelatin. You may wish to hold off on the gas until after you've added gelatin. I've heard it can create a foamy mess if you add it to carbed beer.

My hunch is that you might still have "kind of hazy" beer by just letting it sit, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I vote #1. What yeast did you use? I've found that with fairly non-flocculant yeast strains (Denny's Favorite for example) it can take 2-3 weeks for it to get nice and clear.

Unless you need to move the keg at some point there's no need to push it off the sediment and into another keg IMO. Once the yeast drops it'll stay dropped unless you agitate the keg.

I've never used gelatin and I've always been happy with clarity. I have a lot of vegetarian friends that I like sharing my homebrew with, so I've never really considered it an option. But Irish Moss in the boil and a couple weeks cold in the keg has cleared up every beer I've had.

Cold conditioning it while it carbs up will drop a fair amount of yeast and other particulates out of suspension and after a couple of beers it should be much clearer. As others have also said, highly hopped/dry hopped beers are always going to be a bit hazy, that just goes with the territory. I don't see the need to do anything to that beer except let it condition a little and run its natural course. Sounds like you have an IPA that is brewed to style regarding the clarity.

Latest posts

Back