Best Pumpkin Spice Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
My wife wants me to make her a pumpkin spice beer. Maybe this way she won't spend her paycheck at Starbucks.

I have never had a pumpkin spice beer, so there is nothing that I can point to as a reference or to clone for that matter. I do know that it should have a relatively pronounced pumpkin-spice presence, not too hoppy, and an ABV around 5%.

This recipe looked good and easy, but I can't gauge how much pumpkin-spice flavor it will have: https://beerandbrewing.com/VYB-uCkAAAIBZ2ak/article/pumpkin-ale-recipe

Anyone have their favorite recipes?

Well, do you want pumpkin, or pumpkin spice? I'm assuming that since it's for your starbucks drinking wife, you can eliminate pumpkin altogether, since I'm pretty sure they, (and most others), don't actually use pumpkin in their coffees.

That recipe should give you a decent amount of pumpkin spice flavor without being obnoxious. I would add a pinch of nutmeg, also, if I were brewing that one.

Realistically, you could take any amber ale recipe, eliminate any flavor/aroma hop additions, bitter it in the 20-25 IBU range, toss in some spice at the end, and have a "pumpkin beer".

I've made this one three years in a row:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=140674

It's the Samhain Pumkin Ale, from the specialty beer recipe database on this site. The first two years I bought a small pumpkin and roasted it. Last year I used the Libby, canned pumpkin as the recipe says and it came out great. But to be honest, you could probably leave out the pumpkin altogether and it would taste the same. I think the pumpkin adds mouthfeel and maybe some color, and it lets you say it's a pumpkin ale instead of a pumpkin spice ale. ;). I've enjoyed making and drinking this one, hope you like it.

I make a pumpkin cream ale using both roasted pumpkin in the mash and spices in the last minute of boil. I use a touch more then the amount Jamil uses for his pumpkin beer. Comes out amazing, especially on nitro.

I've made this one three years in a row:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=140674

It's the Samhain Pumkin Ale, from the specialty beer recipe database on this site. The first two years I bought a small pumpkin and roasted it. Last year I used the Libby, canned pumpkin as the recipe says and it came out great. But to be honest, you could probably leave out the pumpkin altogether and it would taste the same. I think the pumpkin adds mouthfeel and maybe some color, and it lets you say it's a pumpkin ale instead of a pumpkin spice ale. ;). I've enjoyed making and drinking this one, hope you like it.

That does sound good! I think i might brew this one instead, thanks! Interesting that there is only bittering hops. I'm curious if it could use a late addition or whirlpool hop?

Anyone have the recipe for NB's pumpkin spice latte stout?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pumpkin-spice-latte-stout

Northern Brewer tends to publish some of the details in a PDF under additional information. I don't know what makes up their Pumpkin spice blend reviews say its not "Pumpkiny enough" , and I prefer to use whole coffee beans while cold crashing instead of the 0 min boil addition, but either would work.

5# -American-2-row
5# -Maris-Otter
.5# -Dehusked-Carafa-II
.5# -English-Dark-Crystal

.25# -English-Black-Malt
.25# -English-Chocolate-Malt

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 150° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1oz US Northern Brewer (60 min)
1lb Lactose (15 min)
4oz (Coarsely Ground!) French Roasted Coffee (0 min)
1tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (0 min)

YEAST options
Safale S-04
Wyeast 1098
White Labs WLP007

I started with the pumpkin spice ale in brewing classic styles (I'm at work, so I'll post the recipe when I get home) Each year I add something to it. Seeing coffee in one of the recipes makes me think that may be an addition for 2016 version.

I started with the pumpkin spice ale in brewing classic styles (I'm at work, so I'll post the recipe when I get home) Each year I add something to it. Seeing coffee in one of the recipes makes me think that may be an addition for 2016 version.

Here's the recipe

Amount Name Type #
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
8.00 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
4.00 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM)
1.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 1 min)
English Ale yeast

Pumpkin spice

1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Allspice

Mash temp 154, ferment temp 68

I made this last weekend, https://www.homebrewersassociation....tout-pumpkin-beer-recipe-with-coffee-vanilla/. Going into the fermenter it was dead on like a good pumpkin spiced stout, probably the best I've tasted. I'll likely be opening the fermenter this weekend to throw in the vanilla beans, I'm going to let the beans sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks, longer than many recommend but I've never gotten the level of vanilla I like from a few days to a week. Then i'm going to put in 2oz of whole coffee beans for 2 days, I've used for 2oz for 4 days in other beers and the coffee was more prevalent than I want it to be in this.

I brewed this recipe yesterday: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=140674

Went well however the canned pumpkin really clogs the BIAB bag. It took around 3 times longer to drain it. I also beat my target OG by a good amount. Does the pumpkin provide fermentable sugar when mashed? I assumed it didn't.

I also may have overdone the spices. I scaled up the recipe to 7.5 gallons (36%) but did 50% on the spices. I also added an extra 1/2t of cinnamon because during the boil I didn't really smell it. The cloves were very powerful, might need to tone those down next time. I forgot the molasses during the boil so I boiled it in 2 cups of water and added it to the primary about 6 hours after pitching.

I used 2 packets of US-05 and it's fermenting away slowly at 65F as US-05 seems to do in the beginning.

Should be in the bottle in 2 weeks and drinkable in 4 weeks. Will post again with an update.

I did one brew with canned pumpkin and I agree that stuff clogs the bag horribly, next time I'll use Irish moss even though doing BIAB.
The pumpkin won't contribute to the OG much, a point or two at most. Mostly contributed some starch to give a fuller mouth feel.
If you used spices in the boil I think you're going to find that the taste and smell from them is going to be quite mild after fermentation. I made a 7.5% stout with 1Tbsp pumpkin pie spice in the boil and ended up adding 3Tbsp in the secondary for a week, and a few people have still said they don't taste pumpkin spice, while others say they taste it but it's a good amount. Spices are tricky, best to start light and add more if needed.

For my most recent "Jak o' the Shadows" Pumpkin Porter, I used the following additions for a 5-gallon batch:

1 Tbsp ground Cinnamon + 1 tsp ground Nutmeg + 0.5 tsp ground Glove @ 30 minutes
1 Tbsp ground Cinnamon + 1 tsp ground Nutmeg + 0.5 tsp ground Glove @ 5 minutes

I was very happy with how this turned out.

Back