Best neutral dry yeast that does not mute hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool experiment. I've never heard of Apex yeast, but I'm definitely interested. We're starting to get almost spoiled with the amount of choices in dry yeast, but I can't complain.

If you could update us on how the 34/70 turns out, that would be awesome!
34/70 was fermented in the high fifties and dry hopped in the keg cold for weeks. The other two were dry hopped in primary in the mid sixties for five days.

Apex and the 34/70 were both more hoppy than the US-05. For some reason the US-05 version came out muted. I've used US-05 a lot so that supersized me. I recently used US-05, Nottingham and Apex San Diego in a hoppy red and they all came out about as hoppy (but I also used differnt dry hops in each fermenter.)

The lager version was great but I think I prefer to use ale yeast in pale ales.

34/70 was fermented in the high fifties and dry hopped in the keg cold for weeks. The other two were dry hopped in primary in the mid sixties for five days.

Apex and the 34/70 were both more hoppy than the US-05. For some reason the US-05 version came out muted. I've used US-05 a lot so that supersized me. I recently used US-05, Nottingham and Apex San Diego in a hoppy red and they all came out about as hoppy (but I also used differnt dry hops in each fermenter.)

The lager version was great but I think I prefer to use ale yeast in pale ales.
Thanks for the update. Any specific reason you prefer ale yeast over lager yeast in pale ales (flavor, etc.)?

Style guidelines don't really matter to me. All I care about is the taste.
Me neither, although there is a fundamental difference between ale and lager which predates the style guidelines by many years. I'm just wondering, if you use a lager yeast in a pale ale is it still a pale ale, but it doesn't matter obviously.

Back