Best method to keep temperature steady while steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canihaveurpants

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am in the midst of my first outdoor extract full boil and was wondering how you all keep your temperature steady while steeping grains? I've never had this issue before on the stove but I think the wind in an outdoor setting is giving me problems. I tried keeping my propane burner on low with the lid partly on and the temperature was rising too steadily. I then killed the burner and kept the lid on completely which resulted in the temperature dropping a bit too fast. Any particular method you use and see success? I try to keep the temp at/around 155 for 30 minutes.
Thanks!

You kinda just have to keep adjusting depending on wind etc. kind of a pain but only a half hour right?

Have you tried insulating your pot with old towels, ski jackets ect?

I just bumped the burner on every once in a while. When it's windy, it's more challenging, but it's usually not too bad for the 30 or so minutes you need to steep them for.

Since steeping grains are usually in the 2-3 pound range, I start them in 160F water then move the whole pot into a pre-heated oven and leave them there for 30 min.

It's steeping grains, temp control ain't much of an issue, whether you steep at 160 and it drops to 150, the sugars are still going to dissolve. If you were mashing this might be a concern.

Oven.

Heat the oven to lowest setting. When you put your grains I the water , turn OFF oven ( probably now at 170) and put pot in oven. Leave the door open.

All you need is extra warmth around the pot. That will be enough to keep the hot water from cooling. Works awesome.

Oh heli beat me too it.

thanks for the responses guys. i was excited for my first full boil so this hiccup freaked me out a bit and made me over-think the whole steeping aspect. appreciate the info!
also it was a particularly windy afternoon so i'm thinking i probably won't have this issue in the future when the weather is a little more pleasant.

It wouldn't hurt either, to put a heat shield, peice of aluminum ( or steel would be better ) kinda thin, in between your flame and pot, if you can do it somehow that there is a little bit of space in between each, and you could leave your propane on low and hold temp... With it being indirect heat, you will be able to fine tune it without the big jumps in temp...

Latest posts

Back