Best IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have. I think I have toooo many hops. I can call it a NEIPA, but now I want something that doesn't completely hide the malt.

I've adapted this Zombie Dust clone as my go-to IPA recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=303478

I don't brew it with Citra every time (in fact, I only used Citra the first time), but I keep the same malt bill (except carafoam... don't usually add that). I like it because I think it has a solid maltiness to it that backs up the hops but is not overly sweet or caramelly or cloying.

I've been brewing a ton of NEIPA lately, but this is solid, more west coast kinda brew that I still like to do occasionally. Loaded with hops, but has a solid malt backbone.

The Red Baron red IPA

1.066 OG
70ish IBU
60 min boil

63% 2 row
28% Munich
7% Melanoidin
2% roasted barley

25ish IBU Horizon, FWH
2:1 ratio Mosaic/El Dorado at 5, 20 min steep/whirlpool, and dry hop

1:1 sulfate to chloride ratio

Mash at 154

12 oz total flavor/aroma hops, plus bittering.

I'm toying with the idea of adding in some Galaxy as well next time I brew it.

Last edited:
Ipa is such a huge category

The brewer released the pliny recipe not a bad place to start

The brewer released the la cumbre elevated ipa recipe as well.

For neipa see the julius threads here

Whatever you do dont try to make your own, because you know coming up with a recipe like pliny is easy and happens every day. Just my opinion, although I know for some they have to make their own. My buddy is like that and his beers suck, and my recipes do to. Just sayin

Latest posts

Back