Best Fruit Tree(s) to plant in Gulf Coast for Winemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texconsinite

Reaction score
So, I have room for a fruit tree, maybe two, when my Houston backyard will be redone soon, and am wondering what trees to plant. I am curious about

1) How will it handle the Houston weather (very hot and humid)

2) How soon various types will start yielding fruit, and how much fruit, viability for brewing uses, ease of harvesting fruit, etc

3) Size, how big it will get

I am hoping to hear from those who have their own trees for winemaking.

I have never had access to a fruit tree before, and want to choose wisely.

SWMBO likes sweet wines, so I'm leaning towards something along those lines.

I have no idea about Texas horticulture, so do follow the link above and see what will grow in your area.

I don't know what kind of wine your wife would like, but peaches make great wine as do oranges.

Up north, we do a lot of cherry wines, apple, crabapple, plum, etc.

What kind of fruit wine(s) do you & your wife like? Whatever kind of fruit trees you get you're going to be stuck with that fruit every year, make sure you like it. Plums, apricots, peaches, paw paws, persimmon, fig, pear, mulberry would all do well in your climate. You might have some success with some apples or cherries, check with your lcl nursery and/or county extension agent for cultivars for your area. You might also give some thought to grapes or berries in addition to or instead of trees. Black berries make great wine.
Plant what you like. Regards, GF.

Hey Tex. I'm in Houston too. Don't have any fruit trees, bit here's a quick list of trees that I've seen or know that my friends and neighbors have and they all produce lots of fruit.

Peach, fig, citrus of all sorts, loquat, blueberry.

And don't forget the lowly tomato. Never had tomato wine, but supposedly its good.

Oh, I've seen some banana and date trees too, both with plenty of fruit.

Tomato wine is more of a cooking wine as I understand it. I tasted it once and it was terrible, but I also hate raw tomatoes.

I've had different types of fruit trees before and my favorites are plum, cherry, and peach. I probably wouldn't make wine from peaches, though.

And no wine is sweet unless you backsweeten it or start with a high gravity and use a yeast with a low alcohol tolerance.

That said, if I were you I'd just build an arbor and grow grapes. You could put your outdoor sitting area under the grape arbor. That's awesome.

At an average of 3-6 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine you will need a good producer of a tree. Most trees take about three years to produce your first crop and at that it will be small. Also be aware that you may need a second tree for pollination.

Try farmers markets to get an idea of what types of fruit and varieties you may like.

Tomatoes do not come from trees.

For good fruit trees in Harris county environs check out http://harris.agrilife.org/files/2011/05/fruitnut.pdf and pick your favorite wine fruit. If I were you I'd definitely take a close look at pomegranate (Balgal, Eversweet or Sweet). Pomegranate melomel or pomegranate wine, try it. You'll love it. Also take a look at Fuyu or Suruga Persimmons. You can thank me later.

Wow, I LOVE persimmons, but didnt realize they could grow here. Thats a great idea.

And I was definitely thinking pomegranate. They are small bushes and pomegranate is SWMBOs favorite. Thank you for the link as well.

Latest posts

Back