Best beer, homebrewing, microbrewery, ingredient, general knowledge, etc. resources?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I jumped into homebrewing last year without much knowledge of the process. I've brewed a number of successful batches using a pretty basic 5-gallon setup, but I want to step up my knowledge of the process, ingredients, of beer in general, and also of the microbrewery industry.

I've also flirted with the idea (as I'm sure many of you have on this forum) of starting a microbrewery years down the line, and I also thought it'd be interesting to see if there were any resources on the industry, what it takes to startup, etc.

So, any suggestions on beer, brewing process, ingredients, etc. resources? Books, articles, interviews, videos, people?

Thanks, guys!

Try seeing if there's any microbreweries around you. I took a tour of one recently and the people there were very friendly and willing to answer any question about beer, brewing, and microbreweries that anyone had plus they gave us free samples

Do you want to learn more about the brewing process, or learn how to start your own nano??

If you want to learn about the brewing process there are tons on books (if you like to read) on the topic.
How to brew, Joy of homebrewing, For the love of hops, "Yeast" The practical guide and Designing great beers are all great books to get your hands on to start learning more about how what happens when and how to improve on your already proven techniques.

Head over to probrewer.com and check out some of those threads if you want to see what it takes to start your own brewery.
It takes A LOT for even the smallest startup.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks Muggs! I actually live in Philly and have been on a bunch of different microbrewery tours. They were immensely helpful and enjoyable.

I'm looking more for resources that I can reference and read thoroughly (not just about the industry, but about the brewing process, ingredient selection, etc.)

Try seeing if there's any microbreweries around you. I took a tour of one recently and the people there were very friendly and willing to answer any question about beer, brewing, and microbreweries that anyone had plus they gave us free samples

Both! Will check those out

Do you want to learn more about the brewing process, or learn how to start your own nano??

If you want to learn about the brewing process there are tons on books (if you like to read) on the topic.
How to brew, Joy of homebrewing, For the love of hops, "Yeast" The practical guide and Designing great beers are all great books to get your hands on to start learning more about how what happens when and how to improve on your already proven techniques.

Head over to probrewer.com and check out some of those threads if you want to see what it takes to start your own brewery.

Good luck!

I agree, as I've read most of those. And I feel, once you get the basics down and have made some successful batches, Yeast is a must have. It really changes you perspective on that "last step" before fermentation.

Good luck!

Great info! If you're simply looking to improve your brewing knowledge and prowess, read everything you can on the subject. There's a lifetime of reading out there on the subject, both for home brewing and commercial brewing. If you're interested in the brewery business in any way, definitely check out probrewer.com, it's a great resource for folks in all sorts of positions in commercial breweries.

sok454 said:
I saw that book on Amazon... but it was like 60.00... I can't get into brewers association at the moment... wha tare they selling it fo?

Is it worth it?

Th BA is actually more, can't really figure out why...

Yes, the book is totally worth it and its well written by people that really know what's involved from concept to opening and everything that needs to be considered in between.

The book discusses every aspect of operating a brewery with all the legal, equipment, business plans, etc. if you are serious it is highly recommended!

Back