Best 2 Tier Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring_Chicken

Reaction score
I am planning out a major update to my brew stand right now, and I'm looking at different setups and what they can offer. First off I have one pump so I'm leaning towards a 2 tier. The question I have is whether it is better to have the HLT elevated and then the MLT and BK on the same plane, or is it better to have the BK be lower than both of the other vessels? Here is a quick list of pros/cons. Maybe you can help add to it?

HLH High
Gravity can move water easily
MLT and BK at same height for pumping and cleaning
HLT can stay up high since it rarely has to move

BK lower
Gravity from mash = potential problem
Have to use a pump to fill carboys
Nice to be able to look down into kettle

High HLT:
have the ability to fly sarge
low mt and bk for cleaning filling and monitoring during the brew

lower bk:
gravity from mash will mean less grain bed compaction = good
you will have to use a pump either way
can still fly sparge but you wont be pumping wort

FWIW I did the high HLT my electric build is linked below.

jtsims21 said:
ps: I have an APA named "Spring Chicken" is there a story behind your name?

It's a name that has stuck with me through many different forums. It's perfect for someone like me that is 'new' no matter how much experience I have. :)

Started out originally on a gardening forum so it had the whole double entendre thing going. I do have chickens though. My favorite is an old rooster that lost one eye to another rooster. I like to show him to people and say 'there's my one-eyed cock'. :)

I'm thinking about doing a high MLT on my setup. The advantage to me is since I don't have a brewstand, my BK and HLT can be on the ground. I'll pump water up to the HLT and then allow gravity to drain wort into the BK. I only have one burner for now so my plan is to drain wort into an extra keg, and then move it up onto the boiler. Is there any problem with that? Seems simple to me, especially if you don't have a brewstand.

If you utilize a grant, you can use 1 pump to any combination of vessels. I have a elevated HLT, fly sparge with gravity and drain mash with gravity. I vorlauf with pump and pump to BK and gravity or pump to fermentation vessel.

edit: oops just realized that picture has my fermentation vessel steam sanitizing on the top tier where my HLT would normally go. HLT has ball valves that can go to MT or BK if I need to top off volume for drunken miscalculations.

photo.jpg

I have my MT up high but sometimes wish the HLT was high cause of mash in on a stool. But it works well for fly or batch. See sig.

Back