Berliner Weisse still smells like baby puke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKH

Reaction score
I made a kettle soured Berliner Weisse a couple weeks ago and just kegged it. To my chagrin the overwhelming aroma is baby puke even though, IMHO, the beer tastes great. Is there something I could have done to kill this aroma? I boiled for about a half hour after three days of kettle souring at ~110-115. I used a handful of Unmilled grain to inoculate the mash rather than a commercial culture. Mash pH and then again at fermentation was about 3.4. Fermented with a large pitch of Nottingham (had it on hand from the centennial blonde).

Should I have boiled for longer? I had read about no boil and short boil Berliner Weisses so figured a half hour would be plenty. What could I have done differently?

Thanks

If at any point is smelled liek baby puke, you did somethign wrong. That is the danger with kettle souring. Sometimes, something goes awry. If it smells like that before you boil and pitch the primary yeast, dump it

From what ive read, 3 days is far too long for a kettle sour

Use a commercial culture of lacto (L. Brevis from White Labs, the Omega Yeast lacto blend, or L. Plantarum from dietary supplements are good sources).

Using unmilled grain, you don't know what microbes you're getting, but it's probably more than just lacto.

You can try adding some Brett at this point to see if that will clean it up. If it is butyric acid, brett can convert that to ethyl butyrate at low levels, which has a pineapple aroma

Back