Berliner Weisse Lacto Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandrsn

Reaction score
Hi all. After a successful Kentucky Common attempt I am going to be brewing my first Berliner Weisse next weekend. My plan is to do a decoction mash and pitch lacto and sacc separately. This is the part I'm wondering about though. Next week I will build up both a lacto (WLP677) and sacc (Wyeast German Ale) starter. I then intend to pitch the lacto starter into primary two days prior to pitching the the sacc.

Now my question is this, should I hold the wort at ~105F for those two days to let the lacto do its stuff (as I've down with a full volume sour mash), or should I just pitch the lacto and let the wort fall to normal ambient fermentation temps (68-70F)?

Cheers!

Pitch the lacto, keep temp around 100 F, and wait until it is soured. 2 days may not be enough, you might have to wait up to 5 or 6 days. Taste it. When it is sour, add the yeast.

Pitch about 2X the yeast you would normally pitch, the low ph is a hostile environment for yeast.

Latest posts

Back