Bent mouth on Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craw3773

Reaction score
Went to keg a high gravity belgian last weekend. I dumped some starsan in a keg, closed the lid and swirled around. I had a MAJOR leak in the lid. Tried a different lid and different seal. Still leaked.

I got looking a little closer, and I realized that the rim around the mouth of the keg is bent. Does anybody have any ideas for recreating the lip short of using a hammer and wooden block?

Try some excess keg lube. If that doesn't help then you'll prob need to re-bend it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I used a wooden dowel and a hammer and was able to take a bend out of mine. If it's bent inward use something metal with some heft as a dolly and work it with a smooth faced hammer. It doesn't have to be perfect with the thickness of the seal on the lid.

I've done it with a large crescent wrench. I just use it as leverage, and lightly put it where I need it. It's worked multiple times on bent sections, sharp gouges, not so much.

I know that Williams brew sells over-sized/thicker O-rings which might help you with this issue, keg lube might help too. Besides that bending wouldn't be a bad option.

I used a large pliers. I lined the jaws with half a paper towel folded up, though, in order to avoid scoring the metal where the seal is supposed to seat. I did it a little at a time, test fitting the lid after every pull. Once you think you've got it right, close it up and hit it with gas before putting any beer in it. Test for leaks by spraying the area with StarSan to see if it bubbles up. Like FullDraw said, though, if the metal is creased, you're probably outta' luck. Good luck!

Back