bending dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shataway

Reaction score
What is the best way to do this without kinking it? How far are you supposed to go to avoid sediment? I am thinking that I want to bend it to where the keg wall leaves the vertical and starts the bend to make the bottom. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steven

I cut all mine, bending never really worked for me. I cut about 3/8" off with a tubing cutter, works great.

3/8" is enough? Since I am new to kegging, I guess it depends on how much I jostle the keg and redistribute the sediment.

I suspect that if I cut (or bend) that the dip tube will rotate as I tighten the post and either hit the slope of the bottome of the keg or the side. Is this correct?

I have a tubing cutter that I have used for normal copper pipe. Will that do?

Thanks,
Steven

Most of my dip tubes are not cut and I don't have issues with sediment (some comes out on the first pour, none after that). The same tubing cutter that is used for copper will work for your dip tube, worked for the one I cut an inch off of (shouldn't have cut that much). Just make sure to get off any residue from the cutter.

I don't get it... Why are you shortening/bending your dip tubes?

None of mine are cut and they serve just fine. Yeah sediment on the first pour... no biggie I toss that into the hop fields for the hop gods/goddess'

Remember when you cut that dip tube though you need to let that metal sit for like 3 days without moisture on it. I remember reading there is some type of process that has to take place in the stainless steel after cut otherwise it will rust!

Remember when you cut that dip tube though you need to let that metal sit for like 3 days without moisture on it. I remember reading there is some type of process that has to take place in the stainless steel after cut otherwise it will rust!

Its called passivisation. It forms an oxide layer that prevents rusting.

I've cut two of mine the rest are at full length. First pint has a little sediment that throw down the drain.

I don't get it... Why are you shortening/bending your dip tubes?

None of mine are cut and they serve just fine. Yeah sediment on the first pour... no biggie I toss that into the hop fields for the hop gods/goddess'

I am going straight from primary to kegs. I might be using gelatin at some point as well. I would rather bend than cut but I have not decided to do anything yet. I am new to kegging and trying to learn about the options.

:mug:

why rush to the keg? its still young beer that needs to age (for most styles at least).

despite popular trends, I still secondary most of my beers, then keg or bottle. the result is clear beer, no cut dip tubes, no sediment to blow out in the first couple pints of the keg.

but, to each his/her own.

One day I will get there (have more patience) once my pipeline is established. I am also sharpening my skills so that I can brew on demand for friends.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back