Belgian yeast suggetions for a stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyStanding

Reaction score
It's a little late, but I want to brew a stout to pop on Halloween. I've made Belgian Dark Strongs the last 4 years, but I have a great, hoppy, stout recipe (along the lines of Yeti) that I want to make, and pitch a Belgian yeast on it this year. I'll modify the grain bill to 8-10% alcohol and the recipe doesn't use any adjuncts, just grains. IBU 40-60 on paper. Can anyone suggest a Belgian strain they've used in a similar type of recipe. Thanks.

I have used the Trappist High Gravity one from Wyeast but prefer the Belgian Dry from The Yeast Bay. When fermented at a the lower and of the temp range the yeast flavor contribution is mild and works well with the coffee and chocolate flavors. These two yeasts also excel in Belgian Blonde beers.

I have used the Trappist High Gravity one from Wyeast but prefer the Belgian Dry from The Yeast Bay. When fermented at a the lower and of the temp range the yeast flavor contribution is mild and works well with the coffee and chocolate flavors. These two yeasts also excel in Belgian Blonde beers.
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for; flavors that are "stout" but with a Belgian twist in the background.

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for; flavors that are "stout" but with a Belgian twist in the background.

This summer, I had a stout brewed with Belgian Ardennes, buckwheat honey and star anise. It was amazing - not surprisingly, took best of show at the comp. The yeast was in the background, enough to identify it as a Belgian, but it was still a stout.

Back