belgian wit with forbidden fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
Any recommendations for this? Doing a wit with coriander and orange peel. Im looking for fruity, spicy orangy.

I plan to ferment in the mid to high 60's.

Anyone with experience with this yeast have anything to add? I was reading a thread saying this yeast shines with extended secondary, but didnt know if any of my other flavors would fade with this approach.
Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit strain.

Thanks all
RonJon

if it helps, this is the recipes i'm brewing

Celis White:

4.5lb Belgian 2-row Pilsener malt
3lb US wheat malt
1.5lb flaked wheat
4oz Belgian aromatic malt
1lb rice or oat hulls

Mash at 149F for 90 min

Boil:

.75oz Wilamette @ 60 min

.5oz Wilamette @ 15 min
.75oz bitter orange peel @ 15 min
1tsp crushed corriander seed @ 15 min

.25oz Cascade @ 5 min

.5oz bitter orange peel @ 1 min
1tsp crushed corriander seed @ 1 min

Yeast:

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit
or
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Prime with 1 1/4 cup extra lgith DME

I make almost this exact recipe, except flaked oats instead of the aromatic. I use wl400 Belgian Wit Ale and it has a lot of interesting flavors. Everyone who tries it loves it, and says it's better than blue moon. To answer your question about secondary I find the exact opposite is true. This yeast doesn't flocculate well so it will never clear, transferring to a bright tank is pointless. I have stopped using a secondary for this brew, and just leave in primary for three weeks, then keg and force carb for two weeks and it comes out perfect. This is the fastest turnover brew I make. I've never used forbidden fruit, but I might try White Labs Belgian wit II next time, I'll let you know.

I've used 3944 quite a bit and really like it, but I recently bought some Forbidden Fruit on a whim. If anyone has any comments I would appreciate it as well.

I have a Wit getting ready to go on tap for our annual BBQ next Saturday. From a style standpoint, it's probably the best beer I've made. It's among the best wits i've had.

6.5lbs Pilsner (I used Rahr for it's high diastatic power)
5lbs Unmalted Wheat
10ozs flaked Oats
4.5 oz's acid malt
Zest of 5 Naval Oranges
A touch of coriander. I used super fresh stuff from spicehouse

Blasted the wheat and oats in my vita prep to get half way to flour. This ensures good conversion and a very hazy beer.

Pitched at 66 and allowed it to warm to 68.

My only change will be to double my acid malt to get a bit more tartness. My wit has no perceivable acidity. It took most of that acid malt just to get down to 5.2. The mouthfeel of the beer is what I like best. It has a surprising body despite the low alcohol and high carbonation.

Big credit to Forbidden Fruit. Awesome yeast.

I make almost this exact recipe, except flaked oats instead of the aromatic. I use wl400 Belgian Wit Ale and it has a lot of interesting flavors. Everyone who tries it loves it, and says it's better than blue moon. To answer your question about secondary I find the exact opposite is true. This yeast doesn't flocculate well so it will never clear, transferring to a bright tank is pointless. I have stopped using a secondary for this brew, and just leave in primary for three weeks, then keg and force carb for two weeks and it comes out perfect. This is the fastest turnover brew I make. I've never used forbidden fruit, but I might try White Labs Belgian wit II next time, I'll let you know.

My intention for the secondary was aging. I dont expect any wheat to be clear. If this beer will be good young that is always good news.

Wjat promted this was conflicting feedback about this particular yeast really needing time to shine.

If there strain is similar to.the ones you guys are referencing then i really dont see any need for aging.

My intention for the secondary was aging. I dont expect any wheat to be clear. If this beer will be good young that is always good news.

Wjat promted this was conflicting feedback about this particular yeast really needing time to shine.

If there strain is similar to.the ones you guys are referencing then i really dont see any need for aging.

That has been my experience, very good young and have never tried aging it. Might be a good experiment, if I can keep from drinking it. I have made this about a dozen times, would be interested in the opinion of a more experienced brewer.

I make more beer than i can consume in a timely fashion, so i should still have some of this a few months out. Although, my reason for brewing this one is to have a more sessionable beer for the florida summer. so this should go quicker than my other ones. I'm pretty good at following up on recipes and techniques, so i'll post back with the info later down the road.

Also, off topic. But i will never do another all grain batch without rice hulls they make sparging so much easier,

For this recipe, yes you need at least 1/2 lb rice hulls. Over half is wheat and adjuncts, but for a pale ale or so I never do. But if in doubt, rice hulls are cheap insurance against a stuck sparge.

Not sure what the weight is, but two tsp doesn't seem like enough. I use 1/2 oz at 10 min left in boil. You don't have to split additions just make sure to crack the seeds first.

Latest posts

Back