Belgian White- Lemon zest or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmandave

Reaction score
Brewing a Belgian white tomorrow. Anyone have experience with using lemon zest? I'm using bitter orange and coriander, will lemon zest send it off track?

I used the zest of 1 lemon (along with zest of 3 oranges) in a wit once and although it added a nice citrus dimension, it stood out too much. I would use 1/2 lemon next time.

I like adding that stuff in during the pour but that is just me. Have you brewed this beer without the fruits/spices before?

I personally don't care for the lemon in the boil. I would throw a slice of lemon in the finished beer if you are looking for the flavor

I haven't. This is literally just a recipe I whipped up from nowhere. I'm making this for a New Years party where my friends' wives will be drinking it too. It's gotta have an appeal to them as well as the guys drinking it.

I haven't. This is literally just a recipe I whipped up from nowhere. I'm making this for a New Years party where my friends' wives will be drinking it too. It's gotta have an appeal to them as well as the guys drinking it.

Ok. Well if it were me I might leave out the fruits, maybe just add coriander. In terms of the lemon, I would add it as a garnish. The ladies love fruit hanging on the side of a glass, I don't know why, but they all do! :confused: I'm not sure how lemon and orange work together in a beer as I have not tried it before.

EDIT: The reason I asked if you had brewed it before was because I think its always better to try a beer in its basic form first, then add fruit especially with Belgian yeasts since they may have the fruit/spice character that you are looking for without adding anything but if you are brewing for an event there is no time for experimentation unless you brew two different batches (hey for a NYE party thats not a bad thought!)

I agree to go easy on the lemon, it does have a powerful smell/flavor. It can taste pretty good in moderation though.

A half may work but you're probably better off with even less. Do you know the wives will only drink a fruity light beer or is this a wild assumption? I know more women who drink darker or hoppy beers than not. The hefe and lighter ones I've made or am making are appealing to the guys.

Well, I live on a military base in Japan, so it doesn't get much crazier than the occasional Leinenkugel shipment. We get Blue Moon here every.... Well... Once every blue moon. I'm not going super traditional with this recipe either. I wanted to loosely base the beer on a Belgian white with some cavalier additions of other malts.

Here's my recipe right now:

5lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked wheat
8oz Cara-pils
8oz crystal 20
1oz saaz @ 60
.75oz coriander
1oz bitter orange peel
(XX Lemon zest?)
Wyeast 3944

WissaBrewGuy said:
In terms of the lemon, I would add it as a garnish. The ladies love fruit hanging on the side of a glass, I don't know why, but they all do! :confused:

Haha it's so true. Also gotta consider the fact that I'm not trying to impress these ladies.

OR...

What about another saaz addition at 5 min with the coriander and bitter orange? Hmm.

I love the last minute Saaz or Sorachi Ace addition to my saisons. Haven't brewed a wit yet though but I'm sure it would be great.

I ended up sticking with the bitter orange peel and coriander with a 5 minute addition of Saaz. I actually really like it.

I was surprised to learn that it is the coriander that gives the citrus flavor. Well, that and the yeast. I use 3944 for my wits and like the flavor. I have given up on the zest and peel thing. I don't think very much comes from that other than bitterness.

If you'd like to learn more, go to the Hoegarrden website. They talk about the citrus flavor coming from the coriander seed. You have to use the indian type that imparts that flavor, not the common type in the supermarket that has a vegetal taste. It is very easy to over-spice with coriander.

Back