Belgian tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested in knowing how will T-58 attenuate that much? It has something like 70% attenuation and by my experience, it will not dry out a high OG beer.

I got it to 1.008. However it's the only yeast I had. Was going to do a blond originally but changed my mind. I don't like Belgian blonds.

I got it to 1.008. However it's the only yeast I had. Was going to do a blond originally but changed my mind. I don't like Belgian blonds.

That is nice. I actually have a Belgian fermenting with T-58. It started at 1.074 and ended at 1.020. Or at least I thought. The temperature rose in the fermenting chamber and it started fermenting again. It is now at 1.015, but I find it strange it would attenuate that much.

I am thinking infection in my case, but glad to hear T-58 can go low.

That is nice. I actually have a Belgian fermenting with T-58. It started at 1.074 and ended at 1.020. Or at least I thought. The temperature rose in the fermenting chamber and it started fermenting again. It is now at 1.015, but I find it strange it would attenuate that much.

How much sugar did you use?

You should try Lallemand Abbaye.

I agree. I have done multiple sid-by-site tests of the belgian/french/trappist/abbey/saison yeasts.
Of the dry trappisty yeasts, Lallemand Abbaye is the favorite (fermentis abbaye/BE-256 was second). I've tasted ok results from T58 in kettle sours, where pH inhibits character. Otherwise, I need 3+ months for t58 to condition to "ok/good" drinkability.

(if interested in various results/impressions, search my post history and check the threads involving abbaye, trappist, belgian, tripple, dubbel, etc. one has a link to a 8-way tasting experiment with 20 tasters https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a__2ecGL9JSOdVmp5xIzV6NkM0YQNsUI_2nDH6M03Gg/edit?usp=sharing is the summary, with yeasts listed in order of crowd favorite.)

Your mash temp will a consideration here. For best attenuation, 145F then 156F seems to be a popular schedule (I've never personally bothered with a beta rest as you did, but it couldn't hurt).

T58 attenuated least in my belgian/trappist yeast experiments, but it still hit 1.014 at medium mash temp and only 1lb burnt sugar. I'm guessing it could be pushed under 1.010 in a tripple with more sugar.

100 gr ( 3.5 oz ) Dark Candi Sugar rocks ( 275 L ) and 100 gr table sugar ( white, refined cane sugar ).

That may be your problem (well not really a problem, I do t want to imply anything wrong done). That's not a whole lot of sugar. Upwards of a pound or even more is going to significantly increase the attenuation.

What was you mash schedule like? pH?

Mashed at around 68 Celsius ( 154 F ) for 80 minutes. pH was 5.3-5.4. All went well and beer smelled very nice, but it started fermentation at some point again, now down to 1.015. I am not complaining, but I am unsure whether it is infected somehow.

Mashed at around 68 Celsius ( 154 F ) for 80 minutes. pH was 5.3-5.4. All went well and beer smelled very nice, but it started fermentation at some point again, now down to 1.015. I am not complaining, but I am unsure whether it is infected somehow.

I doubt it. What was the lag between when you think it stopped to when it started up again?

The high mash temperature would explain any issues with not getting it to attenuate enough, as well as the small amount of sugar. pH was in range but you essentially skipped the β Amylase range. β Amylase is essentially inactive above 153 °F (it's active but only for a short 5-10 minute duration).

6 days was the lag time. This is why I thought it was finished, as its FG was 1.020, which was exactly what the recipe said. :) I just assumed it was finished, having 14 days ince it was fermenting.

6 days was the lag time. This is why I thought it was finished, as its FG was 1.020, which was exactly what the recipe said. :) I just assumed it was finished, having 14 days ince it was fermenting.

@RPIScotty is right about the mash temps. traditional tripple would mash for fermentability, you mashed for body.
I have had good "imperial blond" ales that are basically a high-body tripple, but it isn't my preference.

@RPIScotty is right about the mash temps. traditional tripple would mash for fermentability, you mashed for body.
I have had good "imperial blond" ales that are basically a high-body tripple, but it isn't my preference.

This was my recent Tripel using a 4 step mash:

Mash-in:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498272569.185758.jpg

β1 (144 °F, 25 min.):

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498272582.004542.jpg

β2 (147 °F, 25 min.):

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498272612.136614.jpg

α (162 °F, 30 min.):

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498272683.229198.jpg

I mash out at 171 °F for 10 min.

I used a 16% blend of Turbinado and table sugar and Lallemand Abbaye. 88% apparent attenuation.

Back