Belgian golden strong sugar additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I am a very big fan of Duvel probably my favorite beer and what got me into home brewing..I have tried to make a duvel clone for a while now and still cannot get it down..For my next go at a duvel clone i plan on fermenting without the 15-17% sugar then adding the sugar to a secondary and letting it dry out for a month or 2 then lager it for another month..anyway im rambling..anyone have success making homemade duvel..any tricks?

I've made CSI's recipe and it came out great ( got a 1st place in a regional comp too). I added the dextrose at the end of the boil, all 34 oz of it. But I'm sure it would come out great if you add it during primary. Wouldn't add to a secondary. Also read the BLAM recipe, good hints there.

I've made CSI's recipe and it came out great ( got a 1st place in a regional comp too). I added the dextrose at the end of the boil, all 34 oz of it. But I'm sure it would come out great if you add it during primary. Wouldn't add to a secondary. Also read the BLAM recipe, good hints there.

I cannot find CSI's recipe all i can find is his belgian dark strong..Do you by any chance remember the recipe?

Duvel lists some of the details of the process on their site.

assuming you have the ingredients you need, maybe the process can get you closer.

primary fermentation in between 20C and 26C (68F - 78F), assuming ramp up schedule?
condition in lager tanks for unspecified time, at unspecified temperature
cold crash to -2C (28F)
prime and bottle condition at 24C (75F) for two weeks
condition for 6 weeks in "cold cellar"
bottles don't leave the factory until they have conditioned 90 days.

J.

I found this very helpful in following CSI's recipe

IMG_2098.JPG

Back