Belgian Golden Strong C02 Volumes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper5000

Reaction score
Anyone know what the proper carbonation range for a golden strong is? Very difficult for me to find this info. I have seen online anywhere from 1.9 to 4 volumes. I am thinking that anything below 2.5 isn't right for the style but that 3.5 to 4 is probably a bit high. Anyone know what the best range is? I was probably going to hit somewhere in the 2.7 to 3 zone.

I wouldn't do less than 3, and believe it or not, 4 volumes would be about right if you wanted something to resemble Duval.
Just use some thick glass if bottling.

I see, ok. I am going to use all belgian corkable bottles so I am not worried about too much pressure. 4 does seem like a lot but I am trying to make it to style.

I found an article/presentation online that said the BT and BGS are usually carbed to a range between 3-4.5 volumes of C02. This seemed pretty accurate to me so I ended up carbing it to 4. We shall see how it turns out. Thanks for the help!

I did a Tripel at 3.7 volumes in 750ml bottles. It sounds like a lot but it will not be gushing or anything like that. It basically ensures that you have a nice stream of very small bubbles and a nice head throughout while you are drinking.

After it has carbonated, refrigerate for at least 3 days or so to ensure as much of the CO2 is absorbed into the beer.

Yeah I was thinking of going for the middle ground at about 3.7... then I didn't... only time will tell. I was planning on leaving it in the fridge for a few days to help all the gas absorb effectively.

Back