Belgian Dubbel Braggot critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
Dubble Braggot
Belgian Dubbel
All Grain (5.00 gal) ABV: 9.77 %
OG: 1.072 SG FG: 0.998 SG
IBUs: 15.9 IBUs Color: 6.5 SRM
By: Ulfblod
Ingredients

4 lb 8.0 oz - Pale Malt, Maris Otter
8.0 oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz - Caramunich Malt
4.0 oz - Oats, Flaked
6 lb - Honey
-2lb unmodified
-2lb heated to an amber color
-2lb heated to dark color
Mash addition (51.1%) - 1.0 SRM

1.00 oz - Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60 min

1.00 oz - Saaz 5 min

Yeast: ECY09

I was thinking of mashing high, I know that I'm going to lose a lot of body due to the honey. I'm pretty new to grain brewing, and any feedback would be appreciated.

All honey will be added after the boil when the temp hits about 160.

My main concern is that this will end up being too thin.

According to my brew software, your FG will be more like 1.012 due to unfermentable sugars in the grain.

IBU levels are perfect.

My only suggestion is either up the Maris otter to 8 lbs or be really lazy and get 6 lbs of LME from Northern Brewer. I like all my brews above 10% though.

Last and most important, use a high ABV ale yeast since this will be beer like. I suggest Wyeast 1388, Nottingham, US05, and S 33 in that order. Choose a yeast that fits a beer style you like.

Brew it and tell us how it is !

Better brewing through science!

I think this recipe looks perfect as is, brew it up and let us know how it turns out!

I'd probably mash at 156 or even a little higher, to make sure the fg isn't too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Has anyone ever tried to add the honey after a couple of days of fermentation of the beer? That's what we do in Belgium with the sugar of the triples.

I brewed this about 3 weeks ago. I'll be bottling and carbing to 3.5 volumes this weekend. This tasted absolutely horrible. The saaz hops are NOT tasty prior to fermentation.
I tasted this over the weekend and it had improved dramatically. I can't wait for it to carb up. I'll post pics of the finished product.

I brewed this about 3 weeks ago. I'll be bottling and carbing to 3.5 volumes this weekend. This tasted absolutely horrible. The saaz hops are NOT tasty prior to fermentation.
I tasted this over the weekend and it had improved dramatically. I can't wait for it to carb up. I'll post pics of the finished product.

Can't wait to read/see the finished product! Curious as to how it will turn out.

I bottled this today. The taste is solid. It's pretty good even prior to carbing and chilling. The honey flavor is barely noticeable though. Maybe it will pop back up in a few weeks or months.

image.jpg

This is a little cloudy. It was the left over from the bottling bucket. I lost a LOT of volume to the yeast. 30+days in and fermentation has been done for at least 2 weeks but a lot of the yeast just kept floating on the top in balls that looked like tan cottage cheese. What did fall was very loose, so I lost probably a gallon of beer.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back