Belgian Blond- Wyeast 1214 issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TippHillBC

Reaction score
So I am trying my third batch of a Belgian Blond recipe that i found from BYO magazine. The first two turned out well, actually v 2.0 is very good. For this batch I tried to keep everything consistent. I made a yeast starter with Belgian Abbey 1214. I smacked the pack and it never really expanded even after several hours. Oh well, I figured it was ok. I made the starter and waited 36 hrs prior to pitching. There was a little activity in the starter but i didnt see as much yeast on the bottom like the previous batches. I figured that its just suspended in the solution. Well, I pitched it yesterday at about 2:00 and now 27 hrs later there is ZERO activity in the primary. My OG was 1.060 and pitched at 65 deg as the recipe said 64 (close enough). My basement keeps 66 this time of the year so i left it there. Is it just too cold? I brought it upstairs to up the temp. Could the yeast be bad?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it helps here is the recipe:

12 lbs Pilsner malt
1 lb aromatic malt
1 lb wheat
1.2 lb sugar (to be added when fermentation slows)

1.5 oz Hallertau added at 60 min

Boil was for 90 min.

Latest posts

Back