Belgian beers to bring back home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdigs

Reaction score
So, my brother is in Germany and I want to have him bring me back some Belgian beers since it's right next door. I brew Belgian beers a lot, but don't drink many commercial examples. I'm hoping to get suggestions on some of the best beers that perhaps aren't exported here or just some of your favorites that I should have him bring me back. I'm also reading the new American Sour Beers book and want to get some good sours from Germany and Belgium. I'm not interested in witbiers, hefeweizens, or any lagers. Thanks.

Went to Belgium in May and had a grand time.

Among the beers I brought back was:
Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keiser--spent 2 nights at Het Anker hotel and couldn't pass on the opportunity to get this 11% beer. Brewed only once per year.
Saison Cazeau--brewed with elderflowers. 5% and easy drinking with a different taste than most other saisons
Curtius--a tripel coming in at 7%. If you like hops, you'll probably like this. Hoppier than a normal tripel.
Westvlereren XII--goes without saying.

Hope this helps.

Now of the nicest Belgian beers in my humble opinion is Kwak. A tastey hoppy beer of 8.4. Top quality.

One of the nicest Belgian beers in my humble opinion is Kwak. A hoppy beer of 8.4% proof. Top quality. Good luck

What beers have you had before? Are you looking for regular stuff or harder to find? I can ask a friend that goes a few times a year. I assume you have had Rochefort 10 and Orval?

Maredsous produces some very nice brews. I am fond of their blond, brown, and triple. You can get them here in the states but are very hard to find.

Went to Belgium in May and had a grand time.

Among the beers I brought back was:
Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keiser--spent 2 nights at Het Anker hotel and couldn't pass on the opportunity to get this 11% beer. Brewed only once per year.
Saison Cazeau--brewed with elderflowers. 5% and easy drinking with a different taste than most other saisons
Curtius--a tripel coming in at 7%. If you like hops, you'll probably like this. Hoppier than a normal tripel.
Westvlereren XII--goes without saying.

Hope this helps.

Agreed here. Prime examples of Belgians that you can't get/almost impossible to find in the US.

Be sure to get as many Westvleteren 12s as you can legally get. Unavailable in the US. I've bought a few bottles online and, damn is it good.

Non Sour:

Saison Dupont - If you've not tried this you need to. Not rare but still not easy to find overseas
Dupont Biere Du Miel - Awesome honey beer
Val Dieu tripel - My favourite tripel, lots of interesting yeast flavours
De Ranke XX Bitter - Extremely bitter blond
Guldenberg - Very hoppy tripel
Bink Blond - Very rustic blond with tons of flavour despite a fairly low ABV
Poperinge Hommelbier - Nice fresh blond
Westvleteren 6 & 12 - I actually prefer the blond Westvleteren
Pannepot - Incredible dark strong beer

Sour:
Cuvee De Ranke
Anything from Cantillon

Anything from Fantome or Blaugies is good but I've found them really hard to find in Belgium and easier to get online. I reckon most of what they make must get exported.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am very excited for his return in a few weeks, hopefully bags bulging with hard-to-find beers. Gonna be hard not to drink all of them in a week, going to have to force myself to lay a few down in the cellar. There's a good chance his company is sending him back there a week after he returns, so I get a double delivery!

Back