Beginner yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkb131

Reaction score
First time brewer here. Looking to become a master in this hobby and can't wait to look back at this question in the future and laugh!

I got an amber ale kit from my LHBS. Created the wort no problem and pitched Murton's yeast this past Saturday. My adjusted gravity reading was 1.046. I did not activate the yeast (the packaging said it wasn't necessary) and waited for the airlock to show some signs of life. There was no activity Sunday and some light bubbling Monday. On Tuesday the apartment was cooler than usual (62f) and the airlock had no activity. Today there was no activity. I opened the lid and saw a flat mixture with the yeast still chilling on the top. I checked the gravity again and it was at 1.020. My question is, should I pitch a new set of yeast or should I let this ride for the next three weeks?

Thankfully the taste was pretty good!

More details on what you brewed would help. Did you pitch 5 grams of dry yeast or 11 grams? What is the volume in your fermentor? Is the dry yeast still in a lump sitting on top of the wort or do you see a frothy krausen across the top of the wort?

Do you have a layer of "gunk" on the bottom? If you do you are good to go. The fact that your Gravity has dropped significantly shows that fermentation is happening. It is possible that you missed the visible signs of fermentation as this can vary considerably

I pitched two small packets that came with the kit. Not sure how many grams that is.

I'm brewing 5 gallons, using a plastic primary barrel.

I didn't see much foam, and the yeast does seem clumped together.

I can't see the bottom so I'm not sure if there is gunk on the bottom.

Thanks

The gravity dropped so the yeast did their thing. They will likely continue to work, slowly for a while longer. Give it at least a week and check back.

It's entirely possible that your fermenter is not completely sealed - that's okay - so you're seeing little bubbling but all the good stuff is still happening.

Everything is okay - relax and have a home-brew.

Latest posts

Back