Beginner issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyedge1

Reaction score
This is my time making cider. I made two 5 gallon batches. The first batch I started on the 25th of September. All I added was 5 lbs of brown sugar. I used apples from a proven orchard! My problem is it has stopped fermenting. I tested it with a hydrometer and it's showing 0% alcohol. And it tasted terrible.

The second batch, from a different orchard was started on the 11th of November. I added 5lbs of brown sugar and 20oz of grapes. I also used S-04 yeast. This one tested at 5% alcohol. And is still percolating (slow).
So my question is, is the first batch no good? Can I do anything to bring it back?? Thanks for any info

What yeast on 1st batch? I've even used brewer's yeast in the late 70's-early 80's with whit & brown sugar with gold raisins. Took a year in the bottles when about 75-80% done fermenting. Came out like a light apple Asti a year later!

The first batch was natural no yeast added. That was how my father made it back in the 70's. And his turned out great from what I remember.

This is my time making cider. I made two 5 gallon batches. The first batch I started on the 25th of September. All I added was 5 lbs of brown sugar. I used apples from a proven orchard! My problem is it has stopped fermenting. I tested it with a hydrometer and it's showing 0% alcohol. And it tasted terrible.

The second batch, from a different orchard was started on the 11th of November. I added 5lbs of brown sugar and 20oz of grapes. I also used S-04 yeast. This one tested at 5% alcohol. And is still percolating (slow).
So my question is, is the first batch no good? Can I do anything to bring it back?? Thanks for any info

Your hydrometer reading is probably showing 0% potential alcohol, not 0% alcohol. That means that the yeast are done, they have fermented out all the potential. Your apple cider is probably about 5% alcohol now.

With 5lb of brown sugar in your cider that's going to be a lot more than 5% alcohol. Probably closer to 10%. That combination and having a random wild yeast ferment it is probably why it tastes funky. I'd let it sit for a month or two and check it to see if it improves. It could just be very harsh alcohol flavor at this point.

Like RM said the alcohol scale is 'potential' alcohol. You need to measure before fermentation and after fermentation then subtract the two readings to get the ABV%. It's more accurate to use the specific gravity scale and use the formula (OG-FG) x 131. OG= original gravity and FG= final gravity

Thanks for the info! Iplan on leaving it set and just see what happens! Worse case scenario I dump it. But at least the second batch is doing great!!!

Back