Beersmith - Differentiating between recipe variations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mliptack

Reaction score
I've been on beersmith2 for about 2 years now. But I still feel like I am not using it to it's fullest.

I typically build recipes on my Mac or PC, and store on the cloud so I can look at what ingredients I need on my iPhone when I am at northern brewer or during brew day on my iPad for timers and other info. I also like to take notes and document information about my brew day through the iPad.

When I document pre-boil gravity; OG; actual volume etc., on the iPad, I don't see this info when I lookup the recipe on my computers. But I do see my notes.

Now, say I brew this same beer again, no changes. I go into beersmith and document the PBG; OG and volume etc., I am overwriting my original data from the first brew. Is there any way to look back at this past data? I would like to be able to compare.

Also for example, if I brew a recipe and then want to make a change, what is the best way to do this?

I see the version button available in the recipe page, but if I increase the version and make any changes, from the looks of it I would need to save as a different recipe all together.

Maybe I am overthinking the capabilities of the software, or perhaps (and this is most likely) I really am missing something BIG that would make my brewing/data collection much BETTER.

I look forward to any tips or help. Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Max

I've been on beersmith2 for about 2 years now. I am overwriting my original data from the first brew. Is there any way to look back at this past data? I would like to be able to compare.

The best thing to do is to use one computer to store the brew log. So, you'd download the recipe and it becomes a separate file. You need to makes sure you update the recipe date, so you can see and sort them in the log.

If you're using the free version of BeerSmith's cloud as a brew log, you'll run out of space pretty quickly. I'd just use the cloud for brewday planning and the brewing session. Then, copy it back to a computer.

All of my recipes are created with an old date (01/01/01), and the date isn't updated until I brew. I have a folder for the base recipe, then copy to the log when I'm ready to make them and can make changes, there. That way, the unmade recipes in my log are easy to sort from the ones made. I can then track each of them.

The versions feature is unusable to the point of being vestigial. The version ends up being a separate recipe IF you use the "Save As" feature. Just saving overwrites the recipe. I wish versions were nested instead of flat files.

Maybe I am overthinking the capabilities of the software, or perhaps (and this is most likely) I really am missing something BIG that would make my brewing/data collection much BETTER.

No, you're not overthinking it. The thing is that BeerSmith isn't a big company. It's pretty much one guy, working out of his house. So, between mobile updates, new platforms, new techniques, the list of requested changes grows faster than anyone person can keep up with.

I print out the recipe every time I brew and take notes on the paper then I have a binder where I keep the recipes it's easy to compare to pages of paper side by side

I created master files for my recipes appropriately titled 'My Ale Recipes' and 'My Lager Recipes' where I store the master formula. When I go to brew a recipe, I will highlight the recipe I want to brew and copy it to the brew log (there's a 'copy to brew log' button on the secondary toolbar). Then I go to the brew log and can modify or adjust the recipe from there, add brew day data, and final notes on the brewing. Once I have brewed the recipe I move it to a sub-folder of 'brew log' labeled by the year 'Finished Brews 2014'. I can look up any recipe by name and date and have all the changes, brew day data, and comments available to me.

I also do as hungry4hops does and print out a copy of the recipe for the notes during the brew session and these get put into a loose leaf binder for reference when I need.

The best thing to do is to use one computer to store the brew log. So, you'd download the recipe and it becomes a separate file. You need to makes sure you update the recipe date, so you can see and sort them in the log.

So you're saying save it all to the cloud and Download as needed? I do only have the free cloud at the time being. Usually only keep about 10 recipes in there that are in the works. Once I brew I copy local and usually leave it there.

All of my recipes are created with an old date (01/01/01), and the date isn't updated until I brew. I have a folder for the base recipe, then copy to the log when I'm ready to make them and can make changes, there. That way, the unmade recipes in my log are easy to sort from the ones made. I can then track each of them.

The versions feature is unusable to the point of being vestigial. The version ends up being a separate recipe IF you use the "Save As" feature. Just saving overwrites the recipe. I wish versions were nested instead of flat files.

Glad I am not the only one that didn't find the utility in the Version feature. Brad certainly did a good job getting the software to where it is, considering it really is a 1 man shop.

I print out the recipe every time I brew and take notes on the paper then I have a binder where I keep the recipes it's easy to compare to pages of paper side by side

I used to write all my notes out, but I bought Beersmith to store this data for me.

I created master files for my recipes appropriately titled 'My Ale Recipes' and 'My Lager Recipes' where I store the master formula. When I go to brew a recipe, I will highlight the recipe I want to brew and copy it to the brew log (there's a 'copy to brew log' button on the secondary toolbar). Then I go to the brew log and can modify or adjust the recipe from there, add brew day data, and final notes on the brewing. Once I have brewed the recipe I move it to a sub-folder of 'brew log' labeled by the year 'Finished Brews 2014'. I can look up any recipe by name and date and have all the changes, brew day data, and comments available to me.

Could you post a screenshot of the Copy to Brew Log Button? I don't see it.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Cheers!
Max

Nevermind - I found the brew log - I was in the cloud view, so I couldn't see it. Never used that feature before - thanks again!

Latest posts

Back