Beers to try in South Carolina?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
Hey, I'm taking the family south for a Jersey to a reunion on Hilton Head Island very soon. I was wondering if that area has any interesting local beers I should be sure to try?

Also - is there a preferred place on the mainland to buy beer and booze in the area? Is there any benefit to going to Georgia for a beer run over buying in SC? Just looking to save a few bucks. Thanks in advance for the advice. N_G.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

NOt sure what you can find on HHI but some good breweries in SC: Westbrook, Palmetto, Coast, River Dog(close to HHI in Ridgeland)--prolly no need to go to GA, you should be able to get same selection in SC.
hope this helps

Westbrook makes some good beers but the ambiance of the taproom and customer service sucks. I'd still visit once.

Holy City, that is my speed and my vibe. They make a ton of wonderful beers and just started canning more.

Go to the Craft Beer Exchange but know that pricing is a bit on the higher side. I found bottles there that I paid $2-$3 less for at Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant.

Westbrook is the show in SC. Coast is also good.

Holy city had SERIOUS flaws the last time I tasted them.

No real benefit in going to GA, but savannah is a nice day trip in general from HHI.

Unfortunately the best beer store on HHI closed(growlers). The new Kroger near shelter cove is your best bet. They typically have a full stock of westbrook, I havent seen coast there yet but the beer manager is still working on expanding selection.

A whole foods is opening with growler fills and what should be an awesome beer selection, but I believe thats a few months out yet. For growler fills you can check out "the lodge" but there selection has continually gone downhill since they were purchased by a rest. group. Mellow mushroom has great pizza, and a strong beer offering.

So... I had heard about Growlers from someone else. Went there to find it closed but had a nice talk with the old owner who also runs a great liquor store near the same location.

Whole Foods opened for the first time today.. so there wasn't much there. We ate at the mellow mushroom last night and although the evening was hella expensive, the pizza mushy, doughy, thick-skinned, sauce-less pablum, the beer list was very nice and not outrageously priced.

We tried Hilton Head Brewery and the food was OK but the beer was bad. They only had 3 offerings of several listed on the board. All syrupy and nothing special.

Thanks for the suggestions!

No prob, yeah I would not have recommended the brewery...It's quite possibly the worst I have ever been to and Ive been to many. Ah...NY and NJ people and their narrow views on pizza, sorry you didn't enjoy it.

No worries, we stumbled upon it prior to reading your suggestion. The kids did enjoy the pretzel nubs.

They have both kinds of beer in South Carolina bud light and miller light.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a Salty Dog amber ale this afternoon at the Wreck of the Salty Dog at the Salty Dog shopping complex on South Beach. The beer had a good malt mixture but the bittering was a tad strong. I probably would have looked for something else if I had a second beer. We head back north tomorrow. I'm exhausted.

Back