beer won't bottle carb...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewed an awesome beer a few months ago (double IPA, 10.5% ABV, partial mash), and it was hands out my best beer I created. However, it's been over 2 months since bottling (bottled 7/22), and it hasn't carbed up yet.

I put the bottles in a hotter room (around 76*), laid the bottles on their sides and rotated every other day to keep the yeast in suspension,and patently waited for over 2 months.

However, it's still the same as what it was after the 3rd or so week: gives a small pffft when you pop the top, but no carbonation whatsoever, no foam or anything.

A little background on the beer: 1.096 og, 1.016 fg, used 4.6oz priming sugar (expecting to compensate slightly for the high ABV and possibly lethargic yeasties :D )

Is there anything I can do now to get it carbed? It was an expensive recipe (over 1/2 a pound of hops per case), and even uncarbed it still beats a lot of commercial imperial IPA's, but I really wanted to enjoy it carbed, as well as possibly submit it into a few local competitions. Is there anyway to do that, or will I have to drink the rest of these flat?

:(

good excuse to start kegging :D . realistically, do you boil up the sugar in some water or just dump it into the wort? (don't laugh... i know someone i had to train on this)

good excuse to start kegging :D . realistically, do you boil up the sugar in some water or just dump it into the wort? (don't laugh... i know someone i had to train on this)

Well, it was, as I am currently collecting the parts to convert an old chest freezer my dad had into a kegerator. That has been one of the main influences (besides actually getting a free chest freezer).

It was boiled and added to the beer in the bottling bucket.

If I have to wait another month or two for my baltic porter that was a lot less "heavy" it would be safe to say yours will take a bit longer.

I forget who said it but I believe it went... beer will carbonate eventually but hardly ever within the brewers "time frame".

I will give it another 2 months if you will. Also..... what was the recipe? Love IIPA, always looking for the next.

Realistically, it'll probably never carb. I had it happen on a couple barley wines I made. Now, I pitch fresh yeast or carb it in a keg. You could buy a pack of dry yeast and put a pinch into each bottle.... that'll probably be your best bet.

Have ANY of the beers carbonated? I add my priming sugar, then rack the beer on to it with a gentle swirling.... seems to mix better that way. Numbers look good for amounts.... so other than it not being mixed consistently, I'm at a loss.

I've come to grips with the facts that higher gravity beers take waaaaay too long to carb in the bottles. Kegging, for me, is the only option. I bottle stouts, pales, and anything golden, but when I decide to rock something with a big abv, into the keg it goes.

If I have to wait another month or two for my baltic porter that was a lot less "heavy" it would be safe to say yours will take a bit longer.

I forget who said it but I believe it went... beer will carbonate eventually but hardly ever within the brewers "time frame".

I will give it another 2 months if you will. Also..... what was the recipe? Love IIPA, always looking for the next.

The only problem I see with that is that its an IPA. I'm afraid in 2 months it will be more of a ESB then imperial IPA. Already, after only 2 months, I notice a loss less hop aroma and flavor.

I'mm post the recipe once I get the other computer, that has everything on it, working again

Realistically, it'll probably never carb. I had it happen on a couple barley wines I made. Now, I pitch fresh yeast or carb it in a keg. You could buy a pack of dry yeast and put a pinch into each bottle.... that'll probably be your best bet.

Might have to try that route....Nottingham is cheap enough to at least give it a whirl.

Have ANY of the beers carbonated? I add my priming sugar, then rack the beer on to it with a gentle swirling.... seems to mix better that way. Numbers look good for amounts.... so other than it not being mixed consistently, I'm at a loss.

Nope, all of them were at the same level. Some pressure release when popping the lid, but no actual carbonation. I always add priming sugar and then swirl it with the racking cane, so it should be even.

I've come to grips with the facts that higher gravity beers take waaaaay too long to carb in the bottles. Kegging, for me, is the only option. I bottle stouts, pales, and anything golden, but when I decide to rock something with a big abv, into the keg it goes.

I'm realizing this a bit too late. Seems like I'll have to wait longer to make this until I have the equipment to keg.

My strong ipa did the same thing. I even went back and popped the tops and added in some yeast and it still did not go. Doesn't make sense to me.

Back