Beer water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
I have been thinking/researching lately and have wondered why nobody has come out with water specifically for beer. Would be nice to order water that is already set up to the perfect mineral content that you are shooting for. I know in many instances it wouldnt be cost effective but cool none the less. It may already exist but I haven't found it yet? Would be nice to have duplicate water profiles as some famous breweries around the globe.

Water is heavy, getting 7 gallons of water shipped to you for a brewday would cost quite a bit I would think.

I tried the accumash, it works as advertised but is a bit inflexible compared to buying the salts needed and adding them yourself.

Mary, what did it not allow you do that you wish it had? I see with the options it's trying to account for the PH potential of different types of grain bills, which means...it's fairly close to what OP wants, sans the water.

Shipping water is VERY expensive. It weighs a ton (Well, 270 gallons weighs about a ton....)

RO water is relatively easy to find near most people, and brewing salts are cheap and easy to buy as well.

It would certainly be possible to create a chart of water additions for certain styles, or for emulating recipes the pros use, or other homebrewers use, for their beers. Then it is simply up to the brewer to select what looks good to them and to add the salts to their recipe.

Except people calculate their additions based on mash and sparge volume, and that changes with each person's equipment setup and personal preferences.

So while it's easy to make a statement like; "I prefer to have 180ppm of sulfate in my IPA's.", it's less easy to supply water that gives 180 ppm of sulfate to a beer, while targeting a good pH, on EVERYBODY'S system.

Now, it would be easy to do if they specified that the supplied water, or recipe for water additions was specifically for "Pale Ale, BIAB, 8 gallon Full Volume Mash, 60 minute boil".

You can see that in any case, it would hard to supply a recipe for everyone's needs. Much easier for people to learn about water calculations and tailor their water to their individual needs.

That said, a chart listing ppm's for various beer styles, recommended by various pro brewers or homebrewers, might be useful to someone wanting to see how others do it. But there is still a little variability due to differences in grain bills.

I have been thinking/researching lately and have wondered why nobody has come out with water specifically for beer.

Simple. There is no such thing.

Some beers are made with very soft water. Some are made with very hard water. It is possible to have general guidelines by style and those abound in books, articles and the profiles offered by most of the brewing software that is available. Beyond the general guidelines the brewer must 'trim' the mineral content for the particular materials and processes he uses and for his customers' (the customer can be the brewer himself, his family and friends or, in the case of a commercial operation, customers in the usual sense) preferences.

Simple. There is no such thing.

Some beers are made with very soft water. Some are made with very hard water. It is possible to have general guidelines by style and those abound in books, articles and the profiles offered by most of the brewing software that is available. Beyond the general guidelines the brewer must 'trim' the mineral content for the particular materials and processes he uses and for his customers' (the customer can be the brewer himself, his family and friends or, in the case of a commercial operation, customers in the usual sense) preferences.

Spoilsport.

I cant find a link right now, but there is a small company that sells little packets tailor made for specific brewing profiles (IPA, stout, hefe, etc). They are intended for use with RO water. So the idea is you just pour the small packet into your water and you are good to go. They ranged from $1-2 w/o shipping for what Im guessing was sized to a 5gal final volume

I cant find a link right now, but there is a small company that sells little packets tailor made for specific brewing profiles (IPA, stout, hefe, etc). They are intended for use with RO water. So the idea is you just pour the small packet into your water and you are good to go. They ranged from $1-2 w/o shipping for what Im guessing was sized to a 5gal final volume

http://www.northernbrewer.com/accumash

Back