Beer temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vellum

Reaction score
So I have my keezer set at 38 degrees using a calibrated stc-1000 but my beer is pouring at 45 degrees. Any advice beyond turn the keezer to a lower temp?

temp prob location? - best is in the liquid via a thermowell - or insulated and tapped agains the keg (towards the bottom)

Do you have a fan circulating the air in your keezer? You'll get some pretty significant temperature stratification if not.

The first pour after like an hour is always noticeably warmer and foamy. Do you still have 45F beer immediately after pouring a pint?

Do you have a fan circulating the air in your keezer? You'll get some pretty significant temperature stratification if not.

I have a fan in there circulating air. I did have it only turn on when the compressor turned on but I changed it to be on constantly. Which do you recommend?

I have a fan in there circulating air. I did have it only turn on when the compressor turned on but I changed it to be on constantly. Which do you recommend?

I would suggest keeping the fan running constantly. Once the fan shuts off the cooler air is going to drop to the bottom of your keezer and the warmer air will rise to the top. If you keep the fan running, you'll get a much more even temperature throughout your keezer all of the time. Should help keep your probe temp more in line with your beer temp as well.

Alright. The fan has been running constantly for 24 hours, additionally I zip tied the probe to a can of beer to give it a bit more thermal mass (zip ties wouldn't fit around a keg). The keezer is a chest freezer with collar, faucets are in the collar. Temp controller set at 35. I pulled a pint. It was at 44 degrees. I pulled a second pint and it was at 40 degrees. I think I've got things figured out now. I bumped the temp controller down to 33 and should have 38 degree pours in about 24 hours. I'll report back tomorrow.

Try attaching it to a keg with a bungee cord and a small towel to insulate it. I put my STC-1000 probe inside an old white labs vial and filled it with sand, that can work as well.

Good call on keeping the fan running constantly. Sounds like you're getting there!

Back