Beer store irony

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
I have local large beer store down the street that has a very nice craft beer selection. For the most part if it is available in the state , they have it there. However, I noticed today that they have an entire row of craft beers (BIG row) that is not refridgerated, but yet they have an enormous beer cave for BMC. WHAT the ^%*)&%^)&^)(* ??????

I'm sure that volume dictates that. Remember, a key to success in business is catering to the masses.. If you have college kids lets say going to a party, they most likely aren't looking for a sixer of Ranger IPA, but a case of lets get f*cked up swill!! And it better be cold! Just a hypothesis.

I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Oklahoma the only beer that can be refrigerated is 3.2% abv or less. The rest must be room temp...and anything above 3.2% have to be sold in liquor stores. Maybe the same applies?

For a lot of those stores, BMC pays the bills and allows them to have all of that great craft beer, and depending on the beer, sometimes I'd prefer to buy it room temp so I can cellar it and chill it when I want it.

I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Oklahoma the only beer that can be refrigerated is 3.2% abv or less. The rest must be room temp...and anything above 3.2% have to be sold in liquor stores. Maybe the same applies?

WTF??? Are you kidding me?

Wow! Good ole oklahoma law there. No, we have blue laws here, but not that bad. You can't buy on sunday ( recently changed, but not enacted so still in place) YOu can't sell beer over 12 or some odd percent alcohol and I believe anything 7 percent or above must be sold at a liquor store. ( which in this case it is a liquor store)

Are tattoo parlors and homebrew still illegal there?

Are tattoo parlors and homebrew still illegal there?

Nope. HB was recently legalized as were Tattoo.

Thing is, we have two regulating agencies for alcohol. Low point (3.2 ABW) is regulated by the City County Health Department and refridgeration is required.

High Point is regulated by ABLE who stipulate that alcohol cannot be sold chilled. Nor can stores who carry high point also sale the sundries.

Can't buy high point before 9:00am or after 9:00pm from a store but the bars can stay open until 2:00am.

Can't buy high point on Sunday.

Those OK laws are exactly why I've bought beers on trips outside my state except for OK. They have worse laws than Kansas by far are very confusing for tourists.

Sooner!

OK alcohol laws are as backwards as they come. I lived in CO for 5 years and it's been an adjustment upon moving back to say the least.

Back on topic... many Distributors require a specific shelving of the product. There has to be a certain % of the shelf has to represent that brand. It's a marketing structure. I assume that with that ... they require it to be Refrigerated so it is ready. Otherwise your distributor can pull their product. BMC are the monopoly, Small stuff can't pay for that kind of marketing.

Latest posts

Back