Beer showing no sign of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
On Monday I brewed an IPA with Chinook hops, something along the lines of an Arrogant Bastard. I used all grain, had fresh yeast from a Wyeast package at the homebrew store. I saw no irregularities in the process, in fact I felt very positive about the endeavor. Post boil it cooled in about 40 minutes using an ice bath, pitched the inflated wyeast packet at 68 degrees. Here are we are well more than 72 hours out, and I have seen nothing...no air lock activity, no krausen formation, nothing. This has not happened to me before and I'm trying to diagnose why? At this point I question if it will ever become beer, yet alone good beer...but aside from dead yeast, what could lead to such a thing? I've done over 30 batches and along they way I've done some dumb things, but I'm 100% on achieving fermentation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, I agree everything seems to have been done properly and you are not a noob at this, so...

What was the yeast strain?

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

And what is the Specific Gravity right now?

68 should be an ok temp for most ale yeast, but if the thermometer is off by 5 degrees, it might be a bit low for some yeast to really get going and build a krausen. Sometimes the visual indicators don't who much. Best to measure gravity and be sure. If it's still not fermenting, then I think the only thing to do is to pitch fresh yeast.

I'm probably way too young in the brewing hobby to be offering suggestions, but could you just repitch? If the original started working with the new, what would the harm be?

Good luck, and sorry for the troubles! I've already learned a few tough brewing lessons as well and one thing's for sure - you're in the right place for advice. Guys on this forum are great! (And girls, although I've sadly not met any of them yet...) ;)

Well, I agree everything seems to have been done properly and you are not a noob at this, so...

What was the yeast strain?

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

And what is the Specific Gravity right now?

68 should be an ok temp for most ale yeast, but if the thermometer is off by 5 degrees, it might be a bit low for some yeast to really get going and build a krausen. Sometimes the visual indicators don't who much. Best to measure gravity and be sure. If it's still not fermenting, then I think the only thing to do is to pitch fresh yeast.

About the only thing that went wrong was breaking my hydrometer after I took initial read. I haven't replaced it yet. I used Wyeast English Ale Yeast...I forget the #. My thermometer reading today seems to be appropriate. I appreciate the wisdom, I'm not sure why it didn't turn out. I guess the only solution is to try another batch in the next few days!h

Screw that! Just put more yeast in there like whats his face said! I mean... You should still brew again in the next few days, don't get me wrong, but don't pour this batch down the drain! Beer ain't no water, lol.

Plus then you'll know if the yeast was the problem and to me that's worth as much as the beer.

OH WAIT... How did you aerate? If you had a high grab or even semi high grav wort that was under aerated the little guys cell walls could burst and pH change from autolysis would take care of the rest. Only possible thing I can think of since your queasy bag inflated.

No way I'd give up on this batch before 1) getting another hydrometer and taking a reading-it is possible to have fermentation w/o krausen; 2) if there is no fermentation then repitching more yeast. Plenty of people use no chill brewing and you have enough experience to have developed and practiced good sanitation habits. I bet it is fine...RDWHAAHB!

Well, I had kind of forgotten about this in the midst of bottling some Pliny yesterday. But I checked out this batch and there is now a huge head of Krausen going so, I guess this guy was just a late bloomer. Thanks for the wisdom.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back