Beer not clearing in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
So I brewed an all grain British bitter a while back and used my conical for the first time in over two years! However I had believed it was finished fermenting and cleared, will the hydrometer agreed with it being done, however it was not clear. So it's been in the keg in the fridge for a multiple days now and has not cleared at all..... I have had gas on it so I'm not sure what to do? Any thoughts?

You can try using gelatin to fine it. I find it normally takes a while for my beer to clear without a fining agent.

Did you use anything in the boil?

That's the thing,... The one thing I didn't want to mention, I mainly blame myself... I forgot... I forgot the Irish moss!

my beers are usually clear. However, I have also forgot the moss on a couple of occasions, did not notice a huge difference though. A beer that is not clear, put into a keg and then chilled, may act like you are cold crashing a fermenter. There could be quite a bit of sediment that fell out of suspension, and is down at the pickup tube. Do not move the keg, and it should begin to pour clear. I have mentioned this before, but after a keg has died, I noticed a yeast and sediment ring, or donut around the dip tube. The more a keg is moved, it will stir up this sediment and the beer will again become cloudy. Maybe you should just drink a few more.:mug::mug:

AgentHubcap said:
You can try using gelatin to fine it. I find it normally takes a while for my beer to clear without a fining agent.

Did you use anything in the boil?

I second AgentHubcap's suggestion. Gelatine works wonders! I made the mistake of not adding my whirlfloc one time and used the gelatine in the keg and it ended up sparkling clear.

another vote for gelatin.

I had a carbed up beer in keg not clear for nothing and
I reluctantly opened it up and did the gelatin and bam clear as a bell.
Back on the gas and all was right with the world.

image-464814753.jpg

So less then 24 hours after adding gelatin! Night and day, from what looked like a wheat to this nice clear British bitter! Thanks guys!!

Back