Beer looks infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape_Town

Reaction score
How do I post pictures to show you guys how bad it is?

Im thinking I might need to dump the batch.... I know they always say never dump, but I wanna show you all before I dump it.

Regards

Cape Town

Havent tasted it yet

ForumRunner_20130320_155223.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130320_155212.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130320_155212.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 361
Yikes. Nice pellicle.

Taste it. If it tastes like something you want to drink, bottle it up. If not, dump, distill, or age if you have the space. Aging most likely won't help, but in rare cases it does.

First, what was your brewing procedure? Did you do anything that could lead to an infection?

As far as im aware i followed the exact same steps as the last 2times, i did use like dishwasher cleaner this time and then rinsed thoughrly and then sanitized, this is my 3rd brew, also last time i kinda taped the lid onto the tank to make sure nothung could get in or out, didnt do that this time though

Yep, infected.

Taping the lid sholdn't matter at all. Cleaning/sanitizing is almost certainly your issue.

Check your hoses, racking cane, auto siphon, etc.

Yep, that looks like classic lactobacillus infection.

Lacto isn't harmful or anything, you can certainly drink it. It's base of lots of sour beers, especially Gose and Berlinner Weiss styles.

Taste the beer underneth it. If it tastes fine, rack underneath the pellicle and finish the beer, keg/bottle, and get the carbed beer to fridge temps as soon as possible. The lower temps will slow down the bacterial growth significantly.

If it is already souring, the only thing you can do is either let it go for 4-6 more months and actually let it mature into a stable sour beer, blend it with another beer to add tartness, or dump it.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do is figure out WHY you got an infection. It was likely poor sanitation at some point in the process. Did you happen to add fruit to this batch? The most common cause of Lacto infections is not properly sterilizing the lacto that naturally occurs in most fruit skin/rinds.

Hello, just a FYI you will want to keep all your infected plastics away from your brewing, do not reuse any of it on another beer or it will become infected too, I know some people say that you can inter mix your equipment, but depending on the strain you will infect any beer that comes in contact with that equipment, I am speaking from personal experience.

Cheers and good luck :mug:

Pellicles often sink when disturbed; it's all at the bottom...it will reform.

Oh just another FYI, mine never shows any sign of infection what so ever, clear, clean looking beer, just sour smell and super sour taste.

Cheers :mug:

Best practice is not to, but if you clean & disinfect really well you'll probably be ok.

I had a similar looking infection (in the beer ;) ) once. After reading several posts, I took the overwhelming advice and bottled anyway, from the middle.

The beer was great!

As long as you don't see anything swimming, aside from the yeast :mug:

@wileCoyote and you say I cant use this fermenting equipment again? Really?

Hello, I have tried every way to reuse my plastic equipment, I now have 15gal of bottled infected beer on hand.

The glass and metal can be cleaned with hydrogen peroxided 50/50 mix with water and soaked for 3 days, I have some hoses that we are trying this with just to see if they can be salvaged.

I might try this on a bucket too, but was told don't bother by a professional brew master that specializes in sours.

Also bleach will not kill a lactobacillus infection, even a extreme bleach bomb soaked for 24hrs has no affect on it, in your plastics.

Sorry but thats the truth.

WileE....that's solid, practical info, thanks. Didn't know lacto was so persistent, wow.

WileE....that's solid, practical info, thanks. Didn't know lacto was so persistent, wow.

Your Welcome, some strains are very resilient, some are not, but how do you know what strain you have ? unless you purposely introduced it yourself, this is not the case for the OP.

Im using the coopers beer kit, if it makes any difference, Im not terribly excited about that fact of buying new equipment, but if worst comes to worst 30$ for a new tank is not the end of the world... :(

Have you tasted it yet? If it's not sour/nasty maybe it's not even infected. ...

Yes taste it! before doing anything.

If coopers beer kits are super hard plastic, you might be able to soak it in hydrogen peroxide and reuse., not sure yet that is why Im testing on different tubing.

Cheers :)

Back